Kitchen Fire Suppression

2rlp

Hi,

A hotel is being renovated and someone has sold them a PLC with a lot of spare I/Os. They now want to incorporate a Kitchen Fire Suppression System using the spare I/Os. I do not know anything about this topic. Cam someone help me out wit a flow chart for the same?

Thanks
Ron

My suggestion to them is to not do it that way at all. Fire suppression is a life and death function. If the PLC fails or is offline for some reason, you may not have any protection. PLCs are for controlling machines and processes, not life safety items.

Thanks Randy. I too gave them the same reply, but they were quite insistant on having it that way as their PLC is connected to their central administration and safety department. Can you please help me out in the form of a flow chart. I am going to offer them a microcontroller based system and interface this with the PLC so that both their requirements are fulfilled.

Their existing system consists of a Nitrogen cylinder and an ABC fire extinguisher, both connected via 2 solenoids. What shoul be the sequence of operation? And what should be used as the fire sensor? The existing system is not functioning.

Ron

Hello Ron;

This might be overkill, but if you want this done in the PLC, and you have a choice of platform, have a look at this new product:

http://www.ab.com/db/encompass/bps_dir_update.show_page?x_directory_id=4692
http://www.firebussystems.com

It's developped by FireBus Systems, and comes in 2 parts, a module that plugs into a Controllogix backplane (requires RSLogix 5000 v. 16 and comes with its own dedicated function library) and one or more ITPs (Intelligent Termination Panel) to which you connect the sensor deviceloop, release circuits and notification devices.
They state they cover all NFPA standards required by code.
Looks like an interesting solution; we are studying the possibility of using this system for integrating the fire suppression system in our plants.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

What brand is it?? That'll help determining IF there is a possible solution.

Like Randy, I suspect you'd be very exposed legally if there were a fire and the system were to fail. Personally, I wouldn't do it...

Model??? Tele has absorbed several other brands over the years and each will/may have a different search path...

I will only be able to get the model after my next visit to tthe site. The site is around 600 kms from where I am. My next visit will be next week.