SLC 5/05 E-net hookup problems

Orn Jonsson

Hi fellars,

I just assembled a new control panel with SLC 5/05 and 3 Delta motion controllers.
I am not having any sucess with going online via the enternet (after going DF1 and configuring port #1 with a dedicated IP)

When I use RS linx to hook up, I get a node found message but also a unrecognized device message. What is that about?

Then, when I try to go online (RS-Logix 500), I get a "No response from processor at selected path/node". (disgnostic error 0x4) message.

As I am "very" green when it comes to Ethernet I am looking for some pointers - just want to get going on the programming-..........

Thanks,

Orn

In the configuration of the AB_ETH driver, do you have the IP address of your SLC-5/05 controller in the Node/IP table ?

Is the Ethernet LED on the SLC-5/05 controller solid green (indicating a solid physical link) ? How about on the switch or hub port to which it is connected ?

What's the IP address of your PC (and the subnet mask) ?

Can you issue a "PING" command with the IP address of the SLC (you do this from the Command Prompt, like "PING 192.168.1.101" and get a response ?

Get the SLC5/05 - RMC program off our website.

SLC5/05 to RMC demo

TCP Demo/Test program

Can you access the RMCs using RMCWIN? The RMCs are easy to find because RMCWIN will search the network and find the RMCs no matter what the IP address the RMC uses. This will let you know if the hardware is working. A ping requires that you know what the IP address is.

If it still doesn't work call us. Ask for me or Quinton. We have a SLC5/05 and walk you through this.

I suggest that you use IP addresses in the range of 192.168.XXX.XXX

The demo SLC program uses 192.168.0.21 for the RMC and 192.168.0.30 for the SLC5/05

SLC 5/05 Enet repy to K.R.

Ken Roach said:
In the configuration of the AB_ETH driver, do you have the IP address of your SLC-5/05 controller in the Node/IP table ?
IP Table ? - Don't know.... (need to find that one).

Is the Ethernet LED on the SLC-5/05 controller solid green (indicating a solid physical link) ?
Yep it is green
How about on the switch or hub port to which it is connected ?
Steady light on the switch

What's the IP address of your PC (and the subnet mask) ?
IP=169.254.0.11
Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0
Can you issue a "PING" command with the IP address of the SLC (you do this from the Command Prompt, like "PING 192.168.1.101" and get a response ?
Where do I get to the Prompt?? (DOS)?

Am I right ti use a crossover cable if I am bypasssing the switch and going direct from PC to Port #1 on the SLC 5/05?

As for the RMC Controllers, I got hooked up to them right away with a crossover cable, set the IP and subnet masks and they were up and running via the switch in no time....... for some reason I am struggling with the SLC......

Thanks for your advice fellars,

Later,

Last edited:
RSlinx Version

I have seen in the past that a unrecognized device message means that you the RSLinx version is to old. Download the latest version from A/B and try again.

SLC 5/05 Enet repy

"In the configuration of the AB_ETH driver, do you have the IP address of your SLC-5/05 controller in the Node/IP table ?"

Actually I did not have the IP address I had the node name as the coumn heading calls for. After a short call to AB tech-support I learned, (what Ken had already told me), that you must enter a node number and an IP address in the Node/IP table. Furthermore, the tech I spoke with had me delete 2 files from RS-Links. Which files? I don't remember, but I plan to find out why you should have to delete files from your application to make it work,,,,,,

Right now everthing is working great. Ethernet is the way to go.....

Thanks for your comments comrades,

Later

OJ

Those files were probably Harmony.RSH and Harmony.HRC. The Harmony component is a "directory server" that helps RSLinx keep track of the drivers you've configured.

Those files are notorious for getting corrupted when RSLinx is shut down unceremoniously, so it rebuilds them on startup if they're missing. The tech you talked to probably was just covering all the bases.

The AB_ETH driver's "Node = IP address" table can be a little unintuitive if you've never seen it before; I have always groused about the right side of the table being called "Host Name" when most people don't put a Host Name into it at all, they put in a numeric IP address.

Host Names are a fundamental trick that 80% of casual RSLinx users never see. Check it out:

Use Windows Explorer to browse into the following directory (the Windows directory may be different on your PC):

C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc

There's a file there called "hosts" (no extension). Open it with a text editor like Windows Notepad.

You'll see a short list of IP addresses and names at the bottom of the comment text in this file; usually the only entry is "127.0.0.1 localhost".

Add your PLC's on Ethernet to this file, like this:

192.168.1.101 Huey
192.168.1.102 Louie
192.168.1.103 Dewey

Save the file, then go back to the RSLinx AB_ETH configuration and replace the IP addresses in the "Node = Host" table with the names that you put in the "hosts" file. Spelling counts.

Now go browse with RSWho.

Ta-daa ! You've just passed Archaic Internet Techniques 101. Now if only I could get that to work with the new 1756-ENBT and the EtherNet/IP driver.