Survalent SCADA

consys

I attented a seminar recently where we were shown a SCADA system that according to the comapny is becoming very popular in the utilites industry. From what I saw it was very impressive but you can't really tell too much from just a few hours. I was wondering if anyone else has had any exposure to it ? It is called "Survalent" It's is a Canadian product.

Well, whatever next? A manufacturer who tells us his product is very popular. Next thing he'll say it's very cost-effective! My, but these manufacturers are getting smarter all the time.

I worked for a company some time ago which developed a SCADA package aimed specifically at utilities. One of the most important features for this type of application is the ability to work with remote sites using large scale telemetry systems. This sometimes requires a very different approach to that used for "Normal" industrial systems so a package which works well in one application might not be a good fit for the other.

Andybr

Ken M said:
Well, whatever next? A manufacturer who tells us his product is very popular. Next thing he'll say it's very cost-effective! My, but these manufacturers are getting smarter all the time.

Ken M

Andybr said:
I worked for a company some time ago which developed a SCADA package aimed specifically at utilities. One of the most important features for this type of application is the ability to work with remote sites using large scale telemetry systems. This sometimes requires a very different approach to that used for "Normal" industrial systems so a package which works well in one application might not be a good fit for the other.

Andybr

My thoughts exactly that's why I wanted an outside opinion.

Support...

The one thing that matters most in the long term is SUPPORT - some of the biggest names in the industry offer support that is second rate (or worse)...

It's not only support from the vendor that needs to be taken into consideration either, it's support on the ground in the form of other users who you can turn to in moments of need.

OT.... It would be interesting to run a thread on user's perceptions of the support offered from different SCADA & PLC companies but I suspect it could end up being a hot topic....

Muzza

Muzza said:
The one thing that matters most in the long term is SUPPORT - some of the biggest names in the industry offer support that is second rate (or worse)...

It's not only support from the vendor that needs to be taken into consideration either, it's support on the ground in the form of other users who you can turn to in moments of need.

OT.... It would be interesting to run a thread on user's perceptions of the support offered from different SCADA & PLC companies but I suspect it could end up being a hot topic....

Muzza

Yes that would be nice, but those kind of questions don't
have ansewers they just have opinions. Those opinions have been
expressed many, many times over years on this site.