OT: Radio Interference

cntrlfrk

I know this is quite a bit off-topic, but you guys seem to have pretty much all the answers here, and I am curious about something...

Last week I replaced the power supply in my home PC. When I powered up the PC, my radio immediately started buzzing. (AM radio, yeah, I know, I'm a ways away from satellite radio) It didn't do it with the old supply. Is it just a matter of quality, and how would I know what to look for if I replaced it again? Is there a way I can correct it?

Then this really threw me for a loop. I was at home last night cooking supper (listening to the AM radio again) and when I turned on an appliance, the radio started buzzing again. No big deal, that is pretty normal. What threw me was, when I turned on another appliance, the buzzing stopped. So as long as they were both running, or none running, the radio was OK. But with one appliance running...interference.

o_O

Most likely, it's not radio-frequency interference. It's probably power-line interference. You might try putting an RF Choke on the power cord of your radio(s) and/or the offending devices. It may or may not help, but it's easy and cheap to try.

Let's see.... Nebraska AM... must be KRVN or KFAB ;) (I used to live in NE, too)

The PC supply is operating at 50 KHz. The AM noise is caused by a harmonic. Spend more on your PC supply. Look for one that is PFC. That should be a clean supply.
Each appliance is generating noise at the same frequency, but one is out of phase with the other. When both are on, the harmonics cancel.
There is a FCC rating on electronic appliances, but I don't know much about the details. I think it's a limit on how much noise you can radiate.
If the noise is on the power line, high end power strips should help. The cheap ones (less than $20.00) only have MOV's. I'm talking about the types that are $50.00 to $100.00.