Fault Messages

randy

Supporting Member
In this rung of the program logic it is used to trigger the fault display on the PanelView. They are using B12:0 [N7:0] and moving the value into N14:4, which this register is used for the Tag in the PanelView.

My question is…how are they using B12:0 [N7:0] ?

CADILLAC1.jpg

They are using N7:0 to move indirectly through 0-15. Put let's say a 5 in there, & the XIC is looking for B12:0.5

I'm still not sure on how the value is move into the register N7:0 from the bit level B12:0...

thank you for your response

rmonroe

CTRL + F
Type in N7:0
and hit find all...

Also, look at the rungs just before and after your posted alarm timerr for JMP and LBL instructions. EDIT: the rungs are probably not skipped and I doubt it's in a loop because...

With a 3 second delay, they are probably changing the value of N7:0 based on alarm sorting logic just before the code you posted, then monitoring suspect devices (N7:0 is left unchanged) for at least 3 seconds...

Just a WAG, but I have seen that structure once.

Paul

I tried recently with a Micrologix1200 and a Cmore to display a list of faults on the screen, that would be displayed in a single message list, and would alternate on a timer if more than one was true. What I had was 10 Bit addresses (Say... B3:0/0 through B3:0/9) that were set if certain faults or alarms were present. I had a single integer file (lets say N7:10) that I wanted to move 1-10 into.

My initial try led to a compounded delay if, for example, alarm 1 was on and alarm 7 was on. The delay from checking alarms 2-6 still happened. I didn't have enough time to sit in my office all day poking around with the logic, and had to give up.

I really would like to see the rest of that alarm logic, and see how they incremented the N7:0 file.

B12:0 is a binary word and the value in N7:0 will "indirectly" be the bit level in the word B12:0
That meaning lets say there is a 13 in N7:0, that means that will be the bit 13 in word B12:0.

It would actually be B12:0/13

Since they have the 3 second timer done bit acting as a one-shot for the rung it is probably setup to scroll the fault codes.

Did anyone notice the value of N7:0 in the move instruction the OP posted
its "165". That seems a little odd to me.
randy, post your code if you can. You didn't say what SLC,PLC or micrologix you have. If SLC,Micrologix then its a .RSS file
If PLC5 then its a .RSP file. Zip it and post, someone can help you look for N7:0.

Times like this I wish I had a version of RSLogix500 on my home computer.

This is really gonna bug me tonight since I can't seem to picture what I have in my head in a ladder logic format. I just recently learned about the whole indirect addressing thing though (Back in school, my teachers never even mentioned that way of addressing), so I'm sure if I spent a little time tomorrow working with it, it would be simple.

Did anyone notice the value of N7:0 in the move instruction the OP posted its "165". That seems a little odd to me.

I noticed, and thought it odd, but didn't think much of it.
You can address the bits as File:Word/Bit (B3:0/0, B3:10/15, etc.) or File/Bit (B3/0, B3/174, etc.) so I just ignored it (Even though it is B12:0/165...)

Last edited:
It will index bit by bit through the whole file if necessary not limited to the firstword of file B12.

I think tomalt hit the nail on the head. I bet the DN bit also triggers the FSC or other logic to increment N7:0 to hte next found errored status, then the display shows each and every fault present for 3 seconds each...

Tharon said:
Times like this I wish I had a version of RSLogix500 on my home computer.

This is really gonna bug me tonight since I can't seem to picture what I have in my head in a ladder logic format. I just recently learned about the whole indirect addressing thing though (Back in school, my teachers never even mentioned that way of addressing), so I'm sure if I spent a little time tomorrow working with it, it would be simple.

Tharon,

Click on the link in post #4, this is the best explanation (in the hole thread) that I have ever read, it should ring a bell :D

In just a few moments of thinking about this indirect addressing... I now wish someone had taught me this earlier. It seems that this method will make a lot of the things I've done and tried to do much simpler, using a lot fewer rungs. Seems to be a fairly powerful tool, I'll have to email my old college profs and tell them to teach that to their new students...

Tharon said:
In just a few moments of thinking about this indirect addressing... I now wish someone had taught me this earlier. It seems that this method will make a lot of the things I've done and tried to do much simpler, using a lot fewer rungs. Seems to be a fairly powerful tool, I'll have to email my old college profs and tell them to teach that to their new students...

This method does add to your scan time.

Tharon,

If you practice using indirect addressing it can save mucho time programming. I use it all the time to monitor my pressing applications at work. I create a pointer which shoves my loadcell and LVDT values into files. Then if you have Rslinx pro you can copy and paste links right into Excel and build X/Y charts to graph the force verse distance to figure out when to capture your force readings and to find out what distance your press is at bottom.
It all works on scan time so you can get around 50 - 100 points of x/y data while pressing around 1/8".
It's kind of like a poor mans strip chart data collector.