Is there a standard for HMI alarm/fault messages?

If there's only one cylinder and it only has a few simple faults, I'd argue the "Cylinder fault" is a great message. Can the operator get the machine back up and running in 2 minutes? Yes? Then it's a great message.

Anyone have an industry standard reference ? NFPA79, ANSI, ISA? Anything.

I have a supplier that is providing very vague fault/alarm messages. They are claiming that our controls spec did not specify the details of what a fault message should have. I argue that the messages do not direct anyone to the specific device that caused the fault.

d-man, can you give a little more background:

(1) What is the goal of the alarms, for you? That will drive the text/info you need in the alarm message.
Ex. help the operator clear a fault (machine stop) condition, on their own, so that we can minimize downtime.
Ex. help the supplier find the fault while talking on the phone, and thus never leaving their desk.

(2) Which HMI are you using?
That could have severe limits on your alarm display, colours, text, fonts, sizes, filtering, etc.

Try the Abnormal Situation Management (ASM) consortium.
Or PAS' Alarm Management Handbook.
I agree those are great books, but I'm not sure they'll help here.

The ASM book doesn't get into details about the alarm message text; I highly recommend that book, but not for alarm messages.

Same for the PAS book on Alarm Management Handbook. It's an awesome book on how to manage your methods for creating, adding priorities, and maintaining the alarm system for PROCESS industries. Nothing about alarm text.
Again, I highly recommend that book but it won't (easily) help your alarm text.

Ideally the alarm message will present enough information, so the operator doesn't have to consult you.

You don't work 24 hours a day / 7 days a week.

Don't encourage people to have to contact you for heavens sake!

See now, that goal for the alarms is "don't have the operator call me (supplier)".

When I put in a fault message I tell the operator if it was a cylinder for example, Cylinder #X did not extend or prox #x input#x was not made, check prox or cylinder.