How to tie alarm messages with fault codes from Servo Drive

LR33

I am new to programming rockwell and could use some help. I am using compact logix controller with an Ethernet IP Servo Drive. The servo has 400+ possible fault codes. Example, Fault 602 = Safe Torque Off. We are currently displaying the fault codes however, I want to add the message with the code number. Ideally, i could make an excel sheet with Fault # and corresponding message and then import this list into FactoryTalk. Is this possible? if not, how would you get this done?

I use plain old window's copy and paste from the alarm list to excel and back.

As an aside, I don't do all of the fault codes, I do the most common and then just a single general message for the rest.

Alarm list you say... Let me explain our servo fault list a little more. The servo spits out the most important fault first and then goes in numerical order and shows up to ten faults. So our first fault is tied to {::[PLC]Program:Motion_Control.Fault_1} through Fault_10.

What do you mean by alarm list?

Alarm list you say... Let me explain our servo fault list a little more. The servo spits out the most important fault first and then goes in numerical order and shows up to ten faults. So our first fault is tied to {::[PLC]Program:Motion_Control.Fault_1} through Fault_10.

What do you mean by alarm list?

I'm sorry, I assumed you were using a Panelview or other device the uses FactoryTalk View. To display them in a FT View project, you tie that alarm number(s) to either a Alarm List or Local Message or multi-state indicator.

I'm sorry, I assumed you were using a Panelview or other device the uses FactoryTalk View. To display them in a FT View project, you tie that alarm number(s) to either a Alarm List or Local Message or multi-state indicator.

I am using FT View. I have 10 numeric displays tied to their corresponding Fault_# from the PLC. Maybe this is a poor way of accomplishing this?

I am using FT View. I have 10 numeric displays tied to their corresponding Fault_# from the PLC. Maybe this is a poor way of accomplishing this?

I don't know the requirements; what you've described may work wellfor you application. I type (or copy/import) alarms/faults into a Excel spreadsheet and then use that as a source for copy/paste. And that could be used to populate your display objects.

I don't believe there is a wrong way. Some are easier than others.

I am going to rephrase my question. I have fault codes on a popup screen. How do i get a message to display that is unique to each fault code. Say my fault code is 001 and my message should say "Fault 1 Message". if i was writing C code I would say if FAULTCODE = 001 then write "Fault 1 Message".

in FT View how can i get this accomplished?

Personally I would use the Alarms portion of FT View if for anything else to retain history. But in your case, the tag that contains the fault code would be the tag monitored by a ListIndicator or Multistate Indicator Object. Then populate each state's caption with the corresponding fault text.

I think your list indicator suggestion is closer to what I had in mind. is there a way to quickly add 400 states with corresponding messages?

I quit using AB HMI's for all the obvious reasons, but on the HMI's I use I list each drive
Servo's on one page and VFD's on another and have a reset button and a drive fault code associated with them. The code shown is always the last fault as stated they often hold up to 10 but I am only concerned with the last. I then create a numeric entry to enter the fault code # and have that pop up the the written fault along with possible causes from the drive manual. This keeps me from having to duplicate all the information for each drive. Any drive fault will come up on the Main alarm page telling you which drive is in alarm but by going to the drive page will give you the code and let you get further information.

I quit using AB HMI's for all the obvious reasons, but on the HMI's I use I list each drive
Servo's on one page and VFD's on another and have a reset button and a drive fault code associated with them. The code shown is always the last fault as stated they often hold up to 10 but I am only concerned with the last. I then create a numeric entry to enter the fault code # and have that pop up the the written fault along with possible causes from the drive manual. This keeps me from having to duplicate all the information for each drive. Any drive fault will come up on the Main alarm page telling you which drive is in alarm but by going to the drive page will give you the code and let you get further information.

You just described our application perfectly. How did you get a user input # to equal the correct message?

EDIT- you just said you dont use AB :( nvm. We are swaping over to the new AB HMI (5310s? i think they are called) and it does not use FT view at all and so far we like it much better.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with the new AB HMI. I use Weintek with their free EBPro software.
In their Alarm section all alarms are written out (description-text) and there are
multiple categories you can assign. I copy and paste the OEM Description for each fault along with causes from the manual and assign these all to a category with the fault code number of each as the "value" of the integer I am using for each entry. You can then create an alarm page and specify what category(s) it is monitoring, the only thing I've found is if you want multiple categories to display in an alarm they must be consecutive.