OT: Fan Control

Brijm

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am needing a controller, to adjust the fan speed (VFD) on a system, as it pluggs up.

I recently rebuilt a system, and since we had both the D.P. in and the VFD out of the PLC, I talked our customer into making the system closed loop. Well, although they where in limits before, their consistancy is perfect now, and they want to make their other systems closed loop as well. Neither has a PLC, so on the first, I just used the PID built into the drive (Dan Foss). The second system is using a TB Woods XFC drive, that does not have a PID control.

Can anyone reccommend a good PID controller, or even better, a small programmable controller with analog in/out. I don't need anything fancy, just something simple to bump up the speed slowly, and preferrable around $200

I'll need to analog inputs, and one analog output, My referance is using a 0-10VDC potentiometer, and my feedback from the D.P. is 4-20mA. Then either a V or mA referance to the VFD.

Thanks,

Brian

You might want to try to talk your customer in making the systems common with each other (at least wth the VFD). Common spare parts, common parameters, common troubleshooting; there is something to be said about consistancy. Especially if the VFD is close in price to the controller.

brucechase said:
You might want to try to talk your customer in making the systems common with each other (at least wth the VFD). Common spare parts, common parameters, common troubleshooting; there is something to be said about consistancy. Especially if the VFD is close in price to the controller.

Best bet. This would reduce the inventory needed for maintenance. It will also make the technicians a lot happier, as they will be able to work with a more common system.

You can always claim that you may not be able to get the same results with a different controller. Just a shot.