Converting ControlLogix5555 to CompactLogix L35E

tomfarvour

Okay guys. I converted our Wash program from a ControlLogix down to a CompactLogix. It worked out fine, however, I no longer have the 1756-M02AE Servo Encoder. Is there something comprable to this in the CompactLogix world, or is all the motion control going to need to be re-written? I thought CompactLogix supported motion control.

This is a 2 Axis configuration.

Thanks much,
-Tom

I thought only the CompactLogix L43 supported motion control. Here's some info on it:

Link!

So basically you buy an L43 and it gives you the ability to stack 1768 cards to the left of the processor. You are allowed 2 communications card, one of them could be motion.

Last edited:
tomfarvour said:
Okay guys. I converted our Wash program from a ControlLogix down to a CompactLogix. It worked out fine, however, I no longer have the 1756-M02AE Servo Encoder. Is there something comprable to this in the CompactLogix world, or is all the motion control going to need to be re-written? I thought CompactLogix supported motion control.

This is a 2 Axis configuration.

Thanks much,
-Tom

There is the 1768-M04SE Sercos Interface module, which is avaliable on the 1768-L43 CPU

Last edited:
Ok I see that now. I'm not a big expert on Motion control by any means, so bear with me. Is there anything different between Motion Axes that are defined using Servo versus SERCOS? If so, what is the major difference.

-Tom

Yes, the biggest difference is you will need to use A-B servo drives with the SERCOS interface option. You can use Ultra 3000 drives, Kintetix 6000 or the newer small servo drives the Kinetix 2000 (I think that is it).

By the way, SERCOS is a fiber optic ring network.

If you were using another brand of servo drives with just a +/- 10VDC signal for velocity control to the drives you are out of luck for the CompactLogix and you will need to select new servos and drives.

Also forgot to say that you program the motion and define the axis modules almost exactly the same. The biggest difference with SERCOS is that you have much more status information available about the drives that you can embed in your HMI for diagnostics.

Hope this helps,

Darren

Last edited: