KTXD Card & Cables???

Heterodoxy

Just installed a ktxd card, have cables 1784-cp12 & cp13. But need to communicate with a PV550 (2711-B5A5) to update firmware. Which has a physical RS232 port with DH-485 protocol. In the ktxd user manual on pg. 4-3 it states to use Belden #9842 to construct custom cables for DH-485. And it gives AB publication numbers for the more information, but when I perform a search at ab.com it never comes up with the necessary documents. It would be nice to be able to get the pinout so that I can make my own DB9 Female (for PV) to Phoenix connector.

As if that’s not enough, I also have a friend who has a PV600 with DH-485. (T6C2) That has a long flat connection (sorry don’t know the correct terminology) and connects to a SLC 5/03 (RJ-45) through a 1747-C10 cable. Now the question:

If I cut up an extra 1747-C20 cable lying around. I should be able to make up my own 1784-CP14 cable if I can find the correct pinout for the 6-pin phoenix connector!

And with the other end I’m hoping to be able to make up a cable that I can talk with the PV600, if can find the right pinout for the long flat connector and the phoenix connector

Have preformed a search in this forum, and read through every thread that I thought might deal with this issue. With no luck! But with the brilliant minds that I know exist on this site. I’m sure one of you has the answer.

Thanks So Much
Heterodoxy

Your 2711-B5A5 unit's port is electrically RS-232, even though it uses the DH-485 protocol. You don't need a 1784-KTXD card for it, you just need an RS-232 port on your PC (COM1 on virtually all desktop PC's).

You just need a straight-through serial cable to download to the 2711-B5A5. Not a special cable, not an A-B cable, not a null-modem cable, just a cable with pins 1-8 tied directly to pins 1-8 on the other side.

The colloquial term around SLC users for that "wide, flat" DH485 connector is "AMP connector", just because that's the maker's name stamped on it. I don't know if it has another name. I always make my Phoenix -> PanelView cables plug into the RJ45 connector on PanelViews that have both types of plugs.