RS view editing and saving

Newbie to RS view.

I have a small project within RS view and I want to edit a page. I can work my way around adding a drawing with animation/tags etc as I've used RS view ME before. This is where I get stuck, in ME station you have to make a runtime application to run the graphic. In RS view is there a similar process or are they totally different.

Anyone had good experience with any of the online docs for RSview?

Not entirely sure what you are asking, but there is a play/ stop set of buttons in the tool bar, or go to View/Test Run. If you want to run the project, click on the "Run Mode" tab on the main project view and click 'Run Project' at the bottom of the screen.

If I was a bit vague I want to know how you save the project. Do you simply save and everything is saved. I tried a save as earlier today and the only thing that was being saved was the .gfx file I had edited.
If I save what extensions should I get?
I know it's the .rsv that I open but do all relevant alterations save when this is changed??

Dean,

In RSView32 Works, you only need to save the following:

1. Save Graphics Display (GFX) files when you add a new one or make a change in an existing file.
2. When you add or modify a Tag in the System Tag Database, save it by clicking on "Accept" in the Tag Editor.
3. If you are using a VBA file, you should click "File, Save" before leaving the Visual Basic Editor.

Otherwise, every other user file is automatically updated by the system and saved to the original project file under the original path name.

The works application is on a different pc to the runtime. To save then, I save the .gfx and the tags (no VBA used) and all the other files are saved. To load on runtime pc I just save original as a different name, move the new file across and run.

I'll give it a bash tomorrow at work.

Thanks all.

To load on runtime pc I just save original as a different name, move the new file across and run
That could get you in trouble, because some of the files that RSView creates are dependant on the name of the project. For example, the Data Log may be set with an Absolute Path, which will not be found if the project name is changed. This also applies to the Data Log files, Event files, and hard file references inside Visual Basic routines and Macro commands. Also, your User Accounts and Security Codes may be different on the other computer. All these conditions can result in error message alerts.

You can use RSView32 Works to adjust all these files, so they are pointed to the new project name, but I find it easier simply to keep the same project name for each revision.

Last edited:
Managed it at last. Saved the whole folder of files and transferred the application and it ran fine. Had a few scares though, set up all tags to look at PLC from design pc, this was different to looking at the PLC from the application pc so when I started it all was blank! Nevermind, that's the way we learn. Thanks for help.