Omron CP1H Transistor Outputs

donl517

I've been reading several posts about Transistor outputs and still not sure about what I'm doing. I thought I would try a transistor vs. a relay output for this job. In one of the posts I read someone said it didn't matter if they were wired NPN or PNP, is that true. I bought a sinking output and think I should have gotten a sourcing instead. I need to output 24v+ to a device. Can I do that with a sinking output?

Thanks,
Don

You can use a pullup resistor to the output, the pullup wired to your +24 VDC source. When you want the output to be +24 VDC, don't turn on the PLC output. When you need the output to be a logic Zero or low, then turn on the output. The sink output will then pull the output to GND.

CP1H PNP/NPN Outputs

You can screw around with pullup resistors to reverse the logic from NPN to PNP. But you are just adding more components to your system that complicate the wiring. More things to go wrong.

If you just need to change 1 or 2 outputs then probably not a real big deal, but if you need PNP for all the outputs then much better to buy the model that matches the output type you plan on using from the beginning.

It's called PLANNING AHEAD!!:sick:

Can you exchange the unit??

BTW just for reference the CP1H 40 I/O units are available with NPN, PNP or Relay outputs, the 20 I/O unit is ONLY AVAILABLE with NPN.

BITS N BYTES said:
It's called PLANNING AHEAD!!:sick:

Ah yes, Thanks for the constructive criticism! In the process of building 2 machines and working with a new PLC type in one of them I forgot that one of the components does indeed require a PNP signal. I'm sure you've never had anything go wrong with any of your builds. Perhaps I should contract you to do all of my "PLANNING AHEAD".

Don