S7 comms between PC and PLC

Bobbeh

Hi there,

I am currently looking into ways to create a real-time connection between a s7-300 and a PC but am struggling to understand the benefits of ISO-on-TCP over TCP/IP. We have used opc previously but we now need to send and receive data faster.
I have got both to work using ag_send and ag_recv blocks. When i use TCP/IP I can create multiple connections to the PLC using different port numbers.
However when I try multiple connections using ISO-on-TCP it only allows one connection.

Is it worth using ISO-on-TCP over TCP/IP connection and how do I setup multiple ISO-on-TCP connections?

Thanks
Rob

How much data ?
How fast are you after ?
What kind of hardware is there EXACTLY. This greatly influences the possibilities.

However when I try multiple connections using ISO-on-TCP it only allows one connection.
Are you configuring multiple connection ID's in NetPro, or are you trying to establish multiple send/receive jobs with the same connection ID ?

Its difficult to say how much data but i would guess maybe 80 words worth every sec, maybe not all in one go but as fast as possible preferably.

I'm using an old 315 at the moment with a CP343-1 but eventually it will be a 416 with corresponding CP.

I am configuring multiple id's in netpro but I don't have an application on my pc that can send the appropriate telegrams so I'm just using hyper terminal

You can't compare communication speeds of an S7-300 with the communication speeds of an S7-400. The communication speed of the 300 CPU's are limited by siemens.

80 words each second with an 400 should not be a problem with either protocol.

i only know one difference between ISO and TCP. TCP is routable and ISO is not. I dont know if there is a difference in communication speeds between them.

Regards

Marsupilami