Inserting a time value in STEP7

Lyle

I am using Step7 and WinCC Flexible Compact.What i want to do is insert the time in seconds on the HMI and then this time must be inserted into the timer as its value.Is it also possible to monitor the time remaining in the timer on the HMI.Need help urgently!

"The timer". In the S7 PLC there are two separate families of timers which store time in utterly different ways. Which one are you using? There's the S5 timer which was designed sometime in the early Cretaceous period, and there's the IEC timer which all sensible 21st-century hominids use. What you put in to the HMI and how you treat it depends on where you want to send it and use it once it gets there.

Ken

I am using the S5 timer but i have seen the IEC timer.The IEC timer is FC40.Which is the easiest to use and could you help me with it.

u have to understand the s5t format , u are using a word in bcd format first 4 bits are for the time base and the the three others are the time. u can make a small function to convert the decimal to the bcd format and adjust the time base

I know about the S5TIME format.I have done the conversion and the ladder program works fine in the simulator but when i transfer the program to my C7-635 touch screen it is unable to download as there is a error in one of the blocks.But if i enter a S5T#10s for example and i take out the word that monitors the timer then it will download.

Hi Lyle.

The IEC timers are SFB4 TON and SFB5 TOF.
I think the IEC timer is easier to use when you have understood the workings of it.
The S5 Timers are quick to use here and now, but sooner or later you run into problems with them. Too few of them, 0-999 resolution not enough, hex format (egad !), not good for reusable code etc.

Can you explain exactly which error you get ?
Notice that with STEP7 errors, you often have to click a button on the dialog box that appears to get detailed help.

You can also post your code.

The error is just that i am unable to download that block as there are errors in the block.I have sort of fixed my problems but i am going to give the IEC timers a try.Thanks.

Lyle said:
I know about the S5TIME format.I have done the conversion and the ladder program works fine in the simulator but when i transfer the program to my C7-635 touch screen it is unable to download as there is a error in one of the blocks.But if i enter a S5T#10s for example and i take out the word that monitors the timer then it will download.

The simulator lets you use the maximum possible number of timers. Each real CPU however has a defined limit on the maximum timer number that is permitted. You only find this out when you try and download a block that uses a timer number that is out of range for the CPU. Is this the error you are encountering I wonder ?

hi there is example to take time value from hmi

see attachment

that is a program that can take value in floting point real value and conver it in S5t timer formate open fc 10 net work 7

see the conversion used in fc3 i thing that can help you