plc output to plc input

faehigkeit1

Hello All,
I want to use the output from a plc to feed an input on an existing plc. The output is relay isolated using common 24vdc source.
Can I do this ?
Thanks for any help
Dean

What type of PLC's? you might look into a message on some form of communication, say if they are both SLC's look into DH

But as Ken said, I have also done it many times, S5 to a 504, I did not use the relays, but should of on second thought

Thanks
I have had anightmare project dumped in my lap. I was going to use the existing plc but I ran out of memory. So instead of monkeying with expanding the original plc (no experience) I am adding a new plc.
Thanks for the help

So again... what type of PLC? If its a SLC then it would be easier to expand the rack then installing a new PLC, its just a cable then configure the CPU and addressing the I/O...15 mins top

Still worth looking at

It still depends, if a rack or modular type system there may be a cpu with more memory.

There is the option of using comm or a fieldbus to exchange data between plcs.

Since expansion is being done on the system it makes sense (to me) to make sure you have room for more data exchanges between the plcs and any added in the future.

Most recent PLC CPUs have models with larger memory.
SLC503/4/5 all have 3 flavours of memory that I can recall.
Later ones usually have PCMCIA/SD or CF expansion slots to increase memory even further.

As mentioned, some more detail on the problem might help us give better advice.