STEP7 v5.4 SP3 archiving is busted.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi after installing SP3 for STEP7 v5.4 archiving no longer functions. There exists a technote about that only ARJ and PKZIP is allowed for archiving, but I expect that the installation software took care of all that. It installed a "PKZIP server" for example.

When I try to archive, it starts PKZIP in a Command Prompt window, but it immediately freezes up.
If I kill the Command Prompt Window, STEP7 promptly crashes too !

I get by for now by manually zipping the project directory, but what a nuissance. Has anyone heard about this, and maybe (hopefully) got a fix ?

Jesper,

It must be something to do with your PC, I have V5.4 SP3 installed on 5 machines in total ( 2 PC's, 2 PG's and 1 toshiba laptop) and I have not experienced any problems archiving or retreiving projects.

This doesn't help you much, does it?

Paul

I don't have a problem either.

Have you done to Options>Customize>Archiving and tried setting the path for your prefered archiving software? My pull down menu gives me seven different archiving programs.

Got the screenshot from the office circulation. Did not bother to translate it as not using V5.4

Outlook.jpg

Outlook2.jpg

S7Guy, it is currently set to "PKZip 8.6 (.zip)" which I think is correct.
There is a technote that says that only PKZip or ARJ is allowed for archiving, so it should be correct. I dont want to use ARJ.

Sohwel, there is no similarly named subdirectory within the project directory, so that cannot be the explanation.

Here is an error message that appears if I wait long enough:
STEP7_zip_err2.GIF

I shall wait until a HF arrives.
Until then I will zip the projects manually.

You're not alone!

Jesper

Just to let you know that you're not going mad, it's not just you - we're experiencing the same problems too. A mixture of plain not working or the process takes several minutes, as opposed to the 10-15 secs it usually takes. Downloading 3.1 right now anyway.

S

Is it possible to blame this on Rockwell, as some people are quick to jump on the RockHELL bandwagon when a new version is released that has bugs?

Not sure what you want to say there curly.

Anyway, I think the fix came rather quick.
The only thing I am a bit peeved over is that the SP3.1 takes exceptionally long to install, and you have to install it over SP3, so you have to add the time for installing that too.

If I had known, I would not have installed SP3 or SP3.1.
Only if you have VISTA do I suggest that you install SP3. As far as I know there is nothing significant in SP3 apart from support for VISTA.