factoryTalk activation, reformat harddrive

controlled

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a rslogix 500 installed using factory talk activation. My laptop has been acting strange lately so I want to reformat my harddrive, but I am unsure how to do this without losing my activation file. Because factorytalk uses the internet for activation, does this mean that AB has my harddrive serial number in their database, so after i reinstall logix, i just reactivate ober the web, or is there someting I should do prior to reformatting my drive.

Derek

mrjoseph said:
move activation , at least on my computer i see it in utilities.

I was looking at that, but was unsure about the process. Can I designate an external drive to move it to, then move it back to my harddrive after reformatting

Exemplary application

This is exactly the kind of situation that FactoryTalk activation makes easier.

There is a text file with a .LIC extension on your hard drive in this directory:

C:\Program files\Common files\Rockwell\Activations

All you do is back up this file and put it back in the same directory once you've reformatted or otherwise restored your PC.

You do have to reinstall the FactoryTalk Activation Client along with the RSLogix and RSLinx software.

As long as you have the same physical hard drive, you do not have to "re-host" the activation.

Edit: mrjoseph is thinking of the old EVRSI activation, which needed a utility to move the file. FactoryTalk .LIC files can just be copied with any Windows file management tool. I e-mail them to myself.

Ken Roach said:

There is a text file with a .LIC extension on your hard drive in this directory:

All you do is back up this file and put it back in the same directory once you've reformatted or otherwise restored your PC.

You do have to reinstall the FactoryTalk Activation Client along with the RSLogix and RSLinx software.

As long as you have the same physical hard drive, you do not have to "re-host" the activation.

Edit: mrjoseph is thinking of the old EVRSI activation, which needed a utility to move the file. FactoryTalk .LIC files can just be copied with any Windows file management tool. I e-mail them to myself.

Thanks Ken, I'll give that a try

Ken Roach said:

Thanks again Ken, worked perfect.

Derek