PanelView Plus - can't set communication path

Syrist

I'm trying to set up the rslinx enterprise communications path in a PanelView Plus 1000 and for some reason the Edit Device button is greyed out. There are 3 devices listed: virtual backplane, ethernet, and serial DF1. Eath of these devices show <no device>. I cannot browse the network or manually add a communications path.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

We're just replacing a bad PanelView with a new one, so the power connections and ethernet connections should be okay. The ethernet port does have activity lights on it. The IP address are all correct because they worked on the previous panelview.

Thanks,
-Pete

I configured the PanelView's network adaptor with the correct IP addresses that previously worked -- is this what you mean?

I don't have access to the original development application -- I just copied the MER runtime file from another working PanelView and put it on this PanelView.

You can edit node details, but not configure the network schema, onboard the PanelView Plus terminal. You configure the network schema in RSView Studio/RSLinx Enterprise.

The Ethernet and DF1 drivers that are configured by default on the terminal provide the connectivity to get the application *.MER runtime file onto the terminal.

The runtime file decompresses and loads the communication network schema into the terminal.

All you really need to do on the terminal is set the IP address.

If the communications path wasn't previously set up in RSView Studio/RSLinx Enterprise -- are you saying that's it's not possible to set up the communications path from the actual PanelView's rslinx enterprise screen?

That would suck...

If your Runtime project file ever worked, then it has a communications configuration inside it.

When you open a *.MER Runtime file, there is usually a dialog box asking if you want to "replace existing communications configuration" with the communications configuration from the runtime. In this case, you do want to apply the communications configuration from the *.MER file.

PV+ Ethernet communication

You must shut down the application and go to the configureation menu in the PV+. I have done this by using either a shutdown or go to configuration screen button on you application. If you only have the .mer file I am unsure how to do this.

On the PV side

Once the application is shutdown go to the configuration menu of the PV+ and navigate to terminal settings->startup options->factorytalk view ME station startup click the On startup F1 button so that the bullet beside Go to configuration mode is highlighted. This will allow you to press the Configuration Mode Options F2 button. Now the Replace RSLinx Enterprise communications F2 button can be pressed. This will allow the communication path from RSViewStudio ME to be loaded with the application.

On the RSView Studio side

In the explorer menu click on RSLinx Enterprise->Communications setup there will be 2 tabs Local and Target. Local is laptop to AB communication and Target is the communication path for the PV to PLC. I use the copy button to copy my local to my target. Then in the transfer utility make sure that the box for replace communication when run is checked. This will transfer the communication path to the PV+

I hope I did not ramble too much and this can help someone. It beat me up for a while yesterday until I discovered how to do this.

Ken