AB using a cell phone as modem

maint_bill

I would like to hook up a cell phone to a AB controller(have not bought yet would use what ever controller will work) looking for something simple when the machine shuts down I would like it to call or text me to let me know it has shut down. There is no land line or internet any where near this machine. It ia a portable machine that I drop off at my customers plant. I hope this is enough info to get me going down the right path

That used a modem and I assume a landline to call a cell phone, he wants to dial out with a cell phone.

EDIT: Some cell phones have modems built in, will have to find one that will allow you to set it up just like a regular modem.

Last edited:
Not sure, but i think the posted solution requires a landline (OP said non available).

You could use a GSM remote modem (Westermo, Siemens etc all manufacture them). Use in a similar principle or just get it to spit out a basic text message to a designated mobile (cell!) phone - "MACHINE FAILURE - PLEASE ATTEND" (say).

This route has been discussed several times and there are several sample bits of code floating about (i think i posted some a year or so ago).

Hope this helps.

Werma has a nice stand alone GSM unit that can receive digital inputs from a PLC and can dial up to 3 numbers and send up to 3 alarms messages. Model 646 or 840

Kidblue said:
Not sure, but i think the posted solution requires a landline (OP said non available).

You could use a GSM remote modem (Westermo, Siemens etc all manufacture them). Use in a similar principle or just get it to spit out a basic text message to a designated mobile (cell!) phone - "MACHINE FAILURE - PLEASE ATTEND" (say).

This route has been discussed several times and there are several sample bits of code floating about (i think i posted some a year or so ago).

Hope this helps.

Hi,I used one of the Westermo GSM Modems to send text messages (incidently quite easy to setup if you go with this). Wondering is it possible to dial in remotely with this type. Does anything need to be enabled on the Modem side of things or simply dial in using Rslinx??? Appreciate any feedback - Rpax

Pretty straight forward to allow incoming connections via Linx.

Normal things to check in the modem are baud rate and set the 'Auto Answer' command (ATS0=1 would answer after the first ring for example).

The other thing you'll need is the 'DATA' number of the SIM card within the GSM modem (not the voice number you receive the text messages from) - you'll need to contact your network provider if one hasn't been activated.

Then you just need to configure the 'Modem Dialer' in Linx with the obtained data number as mentioned above...

Think that's the key things to go at first.

Just to say thanks Kidblue, At the moment am trying to dial to the Mobile phone number that sends the text messages. Will see can I get the Data number and givee it a go. Fairplay!

I know the following AT command works with my Vodafone SIM, but not sure on other networks?

AT+CUSD=1,*#100*# <CR>

If there is already a data number assigned, the above command should report it back in (say) hyperterminal...

Hope this helps. :)

You mentioned you're only looking for one input, so a Mission dialer may be more than you need. I've them on projects (mainly lift stations) in the past, and they seem to work pretty well.

http://www.123mc.com/m110.asp
This is the one I've used. They don't require a landline to work, and each of the inputs can be configured to monitor runtime, alarm status, power failure, etc. It will dial a phone or pager, and can dial several numbers until someone acknowledges it.