Anyone familiar with mistubishi VFD FR-S520E series?

XIO

I am trying to run the VFD to turn it on/off with the PLC output. I am connecting the plc output directly to the SFT terminal on the VFD and setting parameter 79 to 3 for VFD to be ran by external signal. I turn on the plc output but I don't get the VFD running. What am I missing?

You want to use a relay output or interposing relay to close the connection between terminals SD and STF on the drive in order to start it in forward rotation mode.

XIO,

A couple of questions first

1.Type of PLC output? Relay? Transistor? Triac?
2.What do you have connected to the SD terminal on the drive?
3.I'm prsuming you mean the STF terminal and not the SFT terminal correct?
4.What are the details of your PLC outputs? Are they discreet relay outs? or is there a "common" terminal? If they are "common" are you using any other outputs?
XIOmitsubishsi.jpg

Sounds like you need to connect 0v to the PC contact, thats if your PLC output is 24VDC of course, if not then you need to do as suggested above

Last edited:
milldrone,

1. The PLC is the mitsubishi FX3U-32M. This is relay output, right?
2. I am connecting SD (on drive) to 0volts on the PLC.
3. Yes, I meant STF.
4. There is a com connections on the output which I am connectiong to 24VDC source.

tragically1969,

This is where I get confused. I thought the 24VDC output from the PLC needs to go to the STF on the VFD, no?. Then the manual warns about shorting PC and SD?. I currently have SD on ground 0v and 24vdc from plc output on STF, is this correct?

You need to connect SD to PLC comm and PLC output to STF.

The way you are wiring the VFD is shorting 24VDC to 0VDC. The defalt wiring for the FR-S500 series drives is Sink.

SD = 0VDC
PC = 24VDC

To start the VFD, SD through N.O. Contact to STF. Enable N.O. contact to Start VFD

How are you giving it a speed reference ?, To make it run you will need the minimum speed set to the speed you want to run or give it a selection via RH, RM or RL

What does the display say when you give it the run signal ?

Last edited:
swimmy67 said:
You need to connect SD to PLC comm and PLC output to STF.

The way you are wiring the VFD is shorting 24VDC to 0VDC. The defalt wiring for the FR-S500 series drives is Sink.

SD = 0VDC
PC = 24VDC

To start the VFD, SD through N.O. Contact to STF. Enable N.O. contact to Start VFD

Well this is how we have been wiring them for the last 7 years and they all work !!

vfd.jpg

These are the E520S but as far as i am aware they all have similar control wiring from these up through the range

We use an analogue on 2 and 5 to give speed reference, SD is to Ov and STF is from a PLC output, C is 24VDC to give an output through the alarm contacts to A

I got it working, thanks guys. I have SD on 0V and the plc output 24vdc to STF. I am controlling the speed with a 10k pot on terminals 10, 2, 5.

I am still confused about that PC termainal, when do you use it?

tragically1969
You are showing XIO just what I explained. From your Picture, the SD is going through a PLC Contact back to STF.

XIO
The PC terminal is used for "Source" wiring. Instead of SD to STF, the wiring would be PC to STF.

Erm, No, you said:

You had described the terminals correctly but the switching incorrectly !!

tragically1969 said:
Well this is how we have been wiring them for the last 7 years and they all work !!

vfd.jpg

A

Take a look at your picture. SD is going Where? To PLC Output Common or Normally Open (N.O.) Relay Common.

SFT comming from Where? Sheet 14, PLC Output Y45. So I am guessing that SD is going to the PLC Y45 Common terminal, Normally Open (N.O.) Contact.

My discription for starting the drive is correct. Enable (Turn On, Power On, Etc...) the PLC Output or N.O. Relay Contact. This closes the contacts, acting like a switch, enabling the Drive to run.