RSViewSE - Tag value transfer

Jim-F

I've worked with RSView quite a bit in the past, but I think I've reached the peak of my limited level of kowledge. I've only had one class on RSView, and the rest has been self taught, so bear with me.
:confused:

I'm trying to collect some billing data from an electrical substation and perform some calculations on it within one of our PLC's. Sounds simple enough, but...

The KW value is coming into RSView through a software program called SubStation.Net. This uses it's own built-in server to gather the data. RSView running on our server has HMI tags that point to tags in the SubStaion program.

I need to use two of these values in our PLC, but I can't figure out how to get the PLC to read the RSView HMI tag.

What I did find, was a command (Set) to write the value of one tag to another tag. According to RSView the following syntax should complete the operation, but it hasn't worked yet:

[&]Set[/V]<tag><value\tag>

This is what the code looks like. I've also attached the Notepad document, since it might be easier to read without being cut apart by the message board.

First Attempt: (Local PLC direct from SubStation.Net tag)

[&]Set[/V]</Boilers/RSLinx::[BOPS]A450_SEL_S7701><value\/Boilers/SubSTATION::\\SS.NET\MP\SELFM\COM5\SEL 2030\Data\311L-S7701-11>

Second Attempt: (Local PLC from RSView HMI tag)

[&]Set[/V]</Boilers/RSLinx::[BOPS]A450_SEL_S7701><value\ASCO\SEL\311L-S7701-11>

Error msg:
Command or Macro [&]Set[/V]</Boilers/RSLinx::[BOPS]A450_SEL_N7601><value\ASCO\SEL\311L-N7601-11> is unknown.

One thing I noticed is that RSView will only let you use the underscore, but the substation program tags have hyphens in them. I was wondering if this would matter, but there are already HMI tags using the data and working fine. I just can't get the value to write to the PLC tag.

I know it's something simple that I'm missing. Please help me get a clue o_O

Last edited:
Okay... I came in this morning, and tried to start from scratch with the tags.

I'm still using the "Set" command and letting the event editor write the tag strings, but this time it actually updated the tags. No errors.

Now for the new issue:

What expression with an event will cause it to trigger continuously? I'm using "system\Year>=2007", and will trigger the event, but only once. I need this to update continuously.

Do not use any "[", "]", "<", ">" in the syntaxe. The "[" and "]" are only to tell you about optional items. "<" and ">" are just there to point what to include as argument to the command...

Try the following in the RSView SE Command line:
&Set {/Boilers/RSLinx::[BOPS]A450_SEL_S7701} {ASCO\SEL\311L-S7701-1}

You can also try the Derived tags!
Derived tags will update continuously... (Every second by default but may be changed through the Setup menu -> Derived Tag Setup )

DT1.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't ever worked with derived tags, but I think I'm going to start. That seems much easier.

Thanks for taking the time to post all of that 🍻

I got it to update continuously by using the time function "interval("1 sec")". We only need a one second update, but after seeing the derived tags info, I'll probably change it to that.