Next Step - Opportunities within Ontario

kinny6788

Hello to you all, I am new to this forum,

I am looking for an opportunity to become a PLC programmer, my background is that of engineering, mainly working for system builders for many different process industries although mainly automotive. I have recently attended fulltime industrial training in the form of a PLC system integration course covering many PLC automation aspects and very hands-on.

I was wondering if any of you have any advice or suggestions as to my next step as most companies expect a min of 3-5 years experience.

Regards Kinny

I'm not sure what your background is, engineering could cover a lot of things.

One way would to be to look for work with a manufacturing company at the maintenance level, where part of the work would include looking after PLC's.

Do you have any PLC experience? ((EDIT:is your hands on programming)) or any electrical?

Some would differ but I think basic electrical is a must, even if you only want to program, I think you still need to know why you are doing what you are doing... not just because

You can start by clicking on the top of the screen 'LEARNPLCS'
What types of PLC's would you like to learn? you should find out what types are in your area and start with that brand

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses.

To be more specific, I served my apprenticeship as an Instrument Tech, I then worked within a maintenance dept where I had some exposure to PLC's, then I worked a line builder carrying out both electrical and mechanical installations and also robot programming. The course I have recently completed was mainly programming AB products.
I am looking for a step into PLC programming, designing the software from start to finish.

I hope this helps

Regards Kinny

It looks like you are off to good start.. do you have a PLC? or simulating software?

If not that would be a good place to start... you can click on plc training store above or click here http://www.plcs.net/videopagebot.shtml

If you want to travel Ron Beaufort has some very good classes in SC http://ronbeaufort.com/

You can check out eBay for used PLC's if you have the software, AB makes a starter software that will run on a Micrologix 1000 that is free but the PLC HAS to be a 10 point and some older 10pt will not work.

There are tons of information on this site and mrplc.com, I like the fourms and just dream up a question the search it... its been asked before :)

Once you start programming come back here and ask any question that you can dream up... or answer one that some one else asked (if you are wrong someone will jump in and correct you... and you will be suprised on how polite they are when they tell you that you are wrong ;))

Hope this helps :)

Last edited: