How to interface USB bar code reader to Panel View Plus

rdarling3599

Hello all,

Can anyone advise what I have to do on my PVP terminal settings and within RS View ME to bring in ASCII data from a hand-held USB bar code reader.
I know the PVP has the USB port to make the connection. Do I use a macro to read the ASCII characters into the PVP memory tags (not device tags)? If yes, how do I get that data to the CLX? Can the CLX read the HMI meemory tags or would the HMI write them each time (I would have to figure out a way to detect that I am getting new data each time)?

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts or experience in the matter.
Thanks.

I can't comment on the PVP portion of this. My experience has been with USB Wasp readers on Windows PCs. They're rediculously easy to use. The computer accepts input just like it was coming from a keyboard. The instruction manual even has "programming" barcodes for how the device should work. For example, you can scan "beep on input" and the reader will remember to beep after scanning. Scanning, "hit enter/tab after each scan" does exactly that.

I don't think you should have to worry about scripting or tags. Hopefully a PVP expert can support or deny this.

rdarling3599 said:
Hello all,

Can anyone advise what I have to do on my PVP terminal settings and within RS View ME to bring in ASCII data from a hand-held USB bar code reader.
I know the PVP has the USB port to make the connection. Do I use a macro to read the ASCII characters into the PVP memory tags (not device tags)? If yes, how do I get that data to the CLX? Can the CLX read the HMI meemory tags or would the HMI write them each time (I would have to figure out a way to detect that I am getting new data each time)?

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts or experience in the matter.
Thanks.