RSView32 RSTrendx rendering float as integer

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm over on the European side of the pond right now and struggling with an RSView32, or possibly RSTrendX problem. I have a value that is being data logged from F8:2. Range 0 to 10. The tag is expressley configured as a floating point tag, not just left at default, and mapped correctly. The data displays in real time as a floating point value and it plots in trendx as a floating point value in real time. I looked at the data in the historical database and it is a float, complete with the fractional data. However, when I pan back in time on RSTrendX the historical data is being plotted as an integer, ie, 3.6 plots as 4.0, 3.3 plots as 3.0, etc.

Any ideas? I'd like to solve this so I can head for home tomorrow.

Alaric,

I have faith in your ability. You can solve it, hang in there.

I don't have RSTrendx, but in RSView, the historical trends use a trend model that is set up in the Tag database. I always put my trend models in a folder called "trendx" (where x is a number). In this model, the Tagname is assigned a Data Type (See attached picture). If this DataType is set to Integer, I think that it will override the actual saved Floating Point data type.

From the RSView Help files:
Trend (Trend Configuration)
In the Trend Configuration tab you set up the horizontal (time) and vertical axes and choose a data source. When you choose a data source other than Real Time, you also must specify the data model, and in some cases, specify which file in the model. Start time on the time (horizontal) axis determines the first data sample to be plotted. Time range determines the time span represented by the time axis.

To draw a trend using realtime data you choose Real Time as the data source. The start time will be NEWEST.

To draw a file-based trend using information logged by Data Log, type a date and start time and choose Historical, Oldest File, Newest File or Choose File as the data source. For these data sources you also have to specify a data model. If you choose Historical data, the trend can display all the information that has been logged to the model. If you specify an individual file (Oldest, Newest or Choose a specific file), the trend will start with the data logged to the chosen file.
Trend_tags.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Lancie. I already have the data type set explicitly to floating point.

Out of desperation I tried deleting and re-inserting the tags. Alas. No luck. Hoping someone has a suggestion as it'll probably be several hours more before I hear from Rockwell.

Alaric,

I am sure you have the normal tags set to Floating Point, but what about the tags in the Trend "model" (which DO NOT affect Real-time trending and thus Real Time displays correctly)? Those are the ones to which I was referring. To see WHICH model your Historical Trend is using, look here:

Trend_Model.jpg

Last edited:
I tried it at work and my thoughts of what you describe in TrendX are

Right click on Trend open properties and go to the Y Axis Tab and change the number of decimal points to what you want

Number of decimal points is set to 1. This affects how the legend values are displayed but should not affect how the line plots. Thanks anyways.

edit: You just got me to thinking however. In Europe decimal places are commas (ie 5,5) while in the US its a period (ie 5.5 ). What do you guys use down under?

I'm using RSView Italian but RSTrendX comes in only one flavor that I know of. Is there is a compatibility problem? If thats it then here is hoping some of our UK and Europen friends have encounted it and know how to solve it. At any rate at this point it looks like the fix will have to wait until the next trip as I'm heading home in a few hours.

Last edited:
Im also at a loss so now a few guesses.

Data log setup has a Setup tab that has number of digits and digits after decimal point I use 5 & 2 in that order.

Stop data logging model and then restart it.

Clear the Cache files, Clear Tag.cac file, Then restart project.

We use Decimal points to answer your question.

Last edited:
Switch the fraction delimiter at Windows Control Panel Regional Settings from comma (,) to dot (.) - worked for me, using russian version of WinXP.