Siemens S7 communications

glpdrumerx

Hello Everyone I am new to the Siemens Game so forgive me for asking what may seem to be dumb questions. we have new equipment coming in that has been programed using S7 version 5.43 and we have a pc with siemens S7 version 2.0, will we be able to communicate with the new software or what type of upgrade do i have to do.

Normally of its a minor upgrade, i.e. 2.0 to 2.x, then you could get a free upgrade.

If its a major change 2.x to 5.x, then you would need to purchase the upgrade.

The good thing is, if you have the latest version you need then you can use it for all older versions, unlike some other (cough cough) manufacturer, where you have to have previous versions loaded as well.

The most problems you would get trying to use out of date software is the hardware profiles. Probably won't be able to connect to start with.

Version 2.0 has got to be 6 - 8 years old. They only sell upgrades from like 5.0 to 5.4 and they run about $600. You woould be better off just buying the latest version.(5.4) Also, you will receive support and upgrades for a year. I don't think you get upgrades with the upgrade. You should look for a "Starter Kit". it comes with the programing cable and manual.