Micrologix 1000 help needed

R_Stone

To pro bono minded AB gurus:

I have a very small system that I am working on, but unfortunately I just cannot seem to lick my problem. I was hoping that some kindly RSLogix type Guru might lend a helping hand. I am currently up to my eyeballs in setting up HART communications to 9 Siemens LR460 level transmitters and dealing with a balky profibus network in another area of the plant. Any help anyone could offer would be appreciated. If pro bono doesn't work I can probably wrangle some development funds out of the bean counters across the street.

Here is the project:

We work in product extension materials. Our products are added to things like concrete, paints, ceramics etc. to make their resultant product stronger and cheaper (usually). We process this stuff and send it out to silos for storage or packaging. We use a device called a Cyclonaire and an associated blower to blow the material out to the silo. T :site: his is basically a vacuum/pressure situation in that material is sucked from a hopper, then blown to the silo. The Cyclonaire came from the factory with an AB Pico as the controller. I need this thing to do a bit more than the Pico could handle so I replaced the Pico with an AB Micrologix 1000. Fair enough. The system works just like the original factory specs with a few improvements that I introduced.

The Cyclonaire is fed from a small hopper inside the plant. The Cyclonaire is currently operated by manually starting the blower then flipping a switch to the convey position to actually start the transfer. I have installed vibratory level switches at the top and bottom of the hopper and also a hand/auto switch. The idea here is to relieve operations of starting and stopping the system and have the system run based upon the condition of the level switches and the hand switch. For some reason I just can't seem to see the forest for the trees. If anyone is interested, I can send a copy of the program or try to post it here.

Any takers to help get me back on track?

Thanks,

Robert

:site:

CroCop said:
Post the program.

We will help.

So tomorrow I'll try to figure out how to post it. Should I actually try to post a series of screen dump pics, an attachment, or is there some easier way??

Thanks,

Robert

Help us help you. Please try to post the original pico program. Then, highlight the changes and additions you have made. Next, please go thru each rung and try to add comments as to what it is supposed to be doing for as many of them that you can. For instance, is rung 0 just a definition rung for the current input devices? Where does the original logic for the "Hand" operation begin? One small improvement can be made by removing rung 10 altogether and replacing B3:0/4 in rung 11 with I:0/1. Is rung 15 the beginning of the "Auto" code? Does the low level I:0/10 supposed to start the "Auto " cycle and the high level I:0/9 supposed to stop the "Auto" cycle? Sorry for more questions than answers but any additional info you can give will help us help you.

Edit:
I was writing this post before you posted the additional Zip files, please ignore questions you may have already answered in the zip files.

Last edited:
Are you wanting to start the transfer when the level is low and stop the transfer when the level is high? Are these vibration level sensors output prone to bouncing when they are close to being tripped?

jrwb4gbm said:
Help us help you. Please try to post the original pico program. Then, highlight the changes and additions you have made. Next, please go thru each rung and try to add comments as to what it is supposed to be doing for as many of them that you can. For instance, is rung 0 just a definition rung for the current input devices? Where does the original logic for the "Hand" operation begin? One small improvement can be made by removing rung 10 altogether and replacing B3:0/4 in rung 11 with I:0/1. Is rung 15 the beginning of the "Auto" code? Does the low level I:0/10 supposed to start the "Auto " cycle and the high level I:0/9 supposed to stop the "Auto" cycle? Sorry for more questions than answers but any additional info you can give will help us help you.

Edit:
I was writing this post before you posted the additional Zip files, please ignore questions you may have already answered in the zip files.

I will post the Pico code asap. Actually I want the auto sequence to start with the high level. High level in the hopper so it is time to pump it out. Start the blower, then begin conveying. When the low level clears, time to stop the system and wait for the next high level. I have posted some more info which isbased on the Pico system.

Robert

Robert,

Identify everything in your program. Internal bits, inputs, outputs, timers, etc.

Then write a brief description on each line of logic telling what it should do.

Robert,

I would be pleased to help you. I have some experience with the type of material-handling system that you are working on. Jams and plugs at the silo mouth were always a difficult problem.

I have installed vibratory level switches at the top and bottom of the hopper and also a hand/auto switch. The idea here is to relieve operations of starting and stopping the system and have the system run based upon the condition of the level switches and the hand switch.
Okay, I understand now. You want to modify the system so that it has an Auto-Run mode. The silo High Level switch should start the material conveying system, and run until the low level is reached. The it should wait until High Level is again reached, then repeat the cycle?

Last edited:
Robert,

I am still studying the programs. Is the Pico program a working copy? The reason I ask is there appears to be some problems with it. Rung 32 is a duplicate Output (Q01) of Rung 25. Also, Rung 37 ouput Q05 seems not to be used. Timer TT16 is not used anywhere. There may be other loose ends....

Could this be a version of the Pico that you modified to add the Auto-Run feature?

We need to start with a working program, then go from there. If you have a Pico version that was actually running, would you consider posting it? EDIT: Even better would be a Micrologix program that was actually working correctly, even if it doesn't have the Auto Run feature. It is very important to start at a "known working point". Otherwise, we could spin our heads around in circles.

Actually I want the auto sequence to start with the high level.
You should keep the Hand/Auto selector inputs, then modify every rung (if needed) so that the system will run in EITHER Hand Mode or Auto Mode (where it automatically starts and stops based on the silo level).

Last edited: