slc5/05 communications

clayc

Hello there, Recently I have had to change the ethernet router in my system. The old system worked fine but the new router has a different set of addresses (slc5/05 was 192.168.2.10 new router has only addresses between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.254). The processor was manually given the original address; both BOOTP and DHCP are disabled. Channel 0 is set for DF-1 communications. I would like to download the programming with new address information but I cannot see the slc5/05 in RSWho.My computer has no serial port so I am using a 1747-UIC. I am not sure what driver I should be using for the UIC. Any help would be appreciated.

The simplest and most sure way to handle this is to manually set your PC for an address on the original IP subnet (192.168.2.x) and then use RSLinx and RSLogix to get online with the SLC-5/05 to change its address to a node on the new IP subnet, or reset the controller for BOOTP/DHCP.

Other options:

You can use the BOOTP/DHCP Utility that comes with RSLinx to force the SLC to go to BOOTP mode. This feature, unfortunately, is blocked by many PC firewalls.

The 1747-UIC device only supports DH485 protocol on its RS232 and DH485 ports. Since your SLC-5/05 serial port is set for DF1 protocol, you need a generic USB/RS232 converter in order to use the DF1 Full Duplex protocol at the serial end.

Is it a router or a switch? If it's a switch you should be able to follow Eddie Willers' advice above in his first paragraph. A router may or may not allow this depending on how it's configured (most likely it won't).

Personally, I keep a crossover cable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable) in my cable kit for situations like this.

The crossover cable will allow you to connect your PC's ethernet card directly to the ethernet port of the SLC. Your PC will need a static IP address on the same subnet as the SLC. In windows XP, this is known as a manually configured IP address. In your situation you could use the IP address 192.168.2.9 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. You won't need to worry about the gateway or DNS server addresses. They can be left blank.

This will get the PC and the SLC talking, and the SLC should show up in RSWho. Then you can change the SLC's address. Once it's changed over to a 192.168.1.x address, you should be able to hook everything back up through your router. Change the PC's IP address back to the 192.168.1.x subnet and everything should be back in line.

If you are heading to the store to buy a crossover cable, it may be just as easy to pick up a usb to serial (rs-232) converter and connect to the processor via DF1.

Thanks for the help Eddie and monkeyhead. I tried Eddie's advice and got online and downloaded new ethernet parameters. Went offline to change settings back to suit new (and monkeyhead it is a router) and no luck. I think crossover cable sounds good so that's on tomorrow's shopping list. I have a serial converter already but I think not working

Turn off the DHCP server and firewall functions of the router and just use it as a switch. I've done this numerous times... As a matter of fact, when I know I'm going to be traveling to one of our plants with an ethernet network, I carry a small wireless router with me. I just need to know a legal IP address to use (there are plenty of ways of finding this if you don't know, too), assign it to my computer, and connect -- first time, every time.

What brand router is it? It seems pretty odd that the IP range cant easily be changed.

Another thought ... leave the IP range alone in the router and change the DHCP settings to assign the subnet as 255.255.0.0. Everything would work then, too.