SLC5/04 to L24ER CompactLogix Communications

Hal9000

Hi there,

I have 3x SLC 5/04 processors communicating with each other over DH+. Some external equipment is being replaced and a new packaged system is being installed that is furnished with a standalone CompactLogix L24ER.

I need to communicate one of the SLC5/04 cpu's with this CompactLogix PLC. The L24ER only has an ethernet port.

Would an SLC500 EtherNet/IP Adapter installed in a spare chassis slot work for me me here? The SLC would need to manage the communications and read/write to the pre-define address map in the CompactLogix.

Or should I consider a separate gateway PLC that would have DH+ and EtherNet/Ip capabilities, maybe a small ControlLogix chassis?

There maybe other solutions but one thing that is impractical is replacing the SLC5/04 cpu's.

Regards,

Justin

I need to communicate one of the SLC5/04 cpu's with this CompactLogix PLC

Couple more options

This is the gateways we sell https://www.plccable.com/ethernet-i...ighway-plus-dh-gateway-converter-ethernet-ip/

If you only have one and its not a lot of data being passed you may want to consider a 1761-ENT-ENI, you would need to double check but I think you could convert the serial port on the 5/04 to Ethernet by that way, not sure how much data you can push through one.

Another option to look at is a 1747-AENT

If it will just be the one device, I would probably use the NET-ENI or the Prosoft module linked above. These modules are relatively slow, but they are the least expensive and easy to setup. They connect to the serial port of the 5/04 and to the Ethernet network. So that one 5/04 could now communicate with anyone on the network.

If at some point you will want to add all three 5/04 controllers, then instead of buying three of the above, I would look at a DH+ to Ethernet gateway. Gateway devices sit on both networks and allow data to pass in either direction. networks.

In other words, one gateway device would allow any device on the DH+ to talk with any device on the Ethernet network. You buy one and it links the two networks for all to use.

The ControlLogix Gateway method would use a chassis with a 1756-DHRIO and the 1756-EN2T module and provides the most flexibility, but it would also be the most expensive. You would need a chassis and power supply and the two comms modules. No controller or special software is required. You could add additional comms modules to connect more networks. So, if you had multiple separate DH+ networks and different Ethernets, this method would be able to link them all. One DHRIO module supports two DH+ networks. Just add more modules to link more networks. But again, this method is expensive.

I don't think the AENT mentioned above does what you need. The AENT would replace the 5/04, and the Compactlogix would take over control of that chassis. You want to keep the 5/04 and add the ability to talk over Ethernet.

And this is a bit of an opinion here....be careful with something called a "gateway" that only works for one device (like the NET-ENI mentioned above). Don't get me wrong, they work great, but if they connect a single device to a network, they are protocol converters, not gateways. Gateways are also protocol converters, but they link networks not a single device. To me, product marketing frequently misuses the term gateway. Just a personal opinion.

OG

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your recommendations. Really appreciate the support/advise, at least I have options!

The ControlLogix solution sounds like it could be the sensible one in my case. The customer will foot the bill, I just need to make the recommendation (and do the coding)
I was surprised to hear it doesn't need a controller - I'll have a read of the manual and see how that all fits together.

My task is to read the following from the CompaLogix PLC:

Float_Data[0] to Float_Data[29]
Integer_Data [0] to Integer_Data[9]

and write to just two registers:

Integer_Data[8] (watchdog)
Integer_Data[9].0 (start)
Integer_Data[9].1 (stop)

I presume the ControlLogix DH+ / EtherNetIP solution can handle my multiple data types?

Regards,

Justin