ProWorx32 v2.1 - still buggy?

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
A while back I started a thread to discuss FasTrack's PLC Workshop for Modicon -vs- Proworx32.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=24524

We were using Proworx NXT and needed a second licnese. I was hesitant to use Proworx32 because I've heard too many bug rumors.

We ultimately ended up purchasing a license of the FasTrack software. Since then, I have not been too highly impressed with the FasTrack software. We have it on two machines and we share the dongle as needed. On both machines it has a nasty blue screen habit - and tech support ultimately wasn't much help in resolving it, though they tired and finally said "reinstall it," which didn't work. Then at the one year mark we discovered the built in extortion ware; if you don't buy a new annual support contract and enter a new code for the dongle you get a pestering pop up to do so everytime you want to use it.

We continued to use ProworxNXT for Bubba's maintenance laptop. But Bubba needs a new laptop now so I'm revisiting the issue. Proworx32 v2.0 was also reported to be a little buggy, but how is V 2.1?

I'm using Proworx 2.0 patch B. I see they are up to patch D.
I can't find reference to ver 2.1. Anybody have any links to info on Ver 2.1? I agree that ver 1.X was awful and ver 2.0 patch x is much better but not yet bugfree. I prefer it now to MODSOFT.

Brian

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm using ProWorx 2.1 Patch A. I found this info in a Readme file in the installation folder:

=================================================================
ProWORX32
Version 2.1
Copyright 2000-2006
Schneider Electric
Schneider Electric would like to thank you for purchasing this copy of ProWORX 32. We would also like to draw your attention to certain items, in order to improve your programming experience when using this tool. Please be aware that Schneider Electric maintains a high commitment to quality; therefore, please read the following notes.
Enhancements:
New Multi-Logic editor view capability.
Data Watch Window trending includes a Histogram display for 0xxxx registers.
Updated Documentation Summary display.
More user friendly editing of the individual time fields in the Date/Time Wizard in the Server Backup/Compare Configuration window.
Option to automatically delete project(s) from the Client PC after it is Put to the Server.
Forcing of discretes without having Online editing rights is now possible with a new Client/Server security setting.
The Server can be closed and will still run scheduled events.
New Client/Server security feature that does not allow Bypass of the Server login.
The Server Activity log includes the PC Host name of the Client PC.
New capability to set the Servers' project directory.
Additional 32-bit Compact PLC's IO modules (ZAE204, VIC200, VIC205, VIC212 and VIC224).
Online documentation for 800 series IO module.
Ability to import 584 PLC projects from ProWORX NxT and Modsoft.

Note:
Projects with the same name cannot be opened simultaneously.
The Client can only put/get projects to/from the 'My Projects' tab.
When comparing local and remote projects of the same name, the local project must be in top edit box.
ProWORX 32 does not support IEC enabled programs. If a Concept program (that has the 'IEC Runtime' feature enabled and contains a '140 NOE 771 xx' module) is read from a Quantum PLC, the '140 NOE 771 xx' web pages may not function correctly.
Importing a Concept project causes an empty network to be added to the last configured segment that contains a network.
The 'PeerCop' and 'I/OScanner' Wizards can only access 'ProWORX 32' projects from 'My Projects' tab.
ProWORX 32 is not supported on Windows XP Home Edition.
ProWORX 32 is not supported on Windows Server 2003.

Thanks Marshy,
I told my supervisor about the new version and he pulled the CDs out of his desk ver 2.1 patch A.

Gotta install now, bye,

Brian.

Occasionally when on-line and the update speed is set too high, the program becomes very sluggish and simple cut and paste commands in the documentation windows don't work. It can even lock up the cursor for a minute or so and then be Ok. Sometimes it kicks you out and you lose any unsaved documentation changes. Fortunately if online and combined any ladder changes are still saved to the PLC so you can reattach and upload the ladder configuration. Most problems are not present when offline or online and the update settings are set really low.

The reporting still takes forever to format using Crystal reports, comparted to MODSOFT.

Otherwise I really like it. The trending has also been useful.
Just remember to back up every few minutes when doing major documentation.

The upgrade to 2.1 patch A was painless and I haven't tried to push the limits of the software while online yet, but I'll PM you and report back here if I have any news about improvements or new problems I notice.

Brian

Last edited:
Just looking at the Schneider site I see that they haven't updated their online software patches for Proworx 32 since 2.0 patch D. I wonder what's up with that? I'll report back if we get another CD in the mail. So far 2.1 patch A is working OK, just thought I'd check to see if they had made any improvements

Brian.

We've been using Proworx32 2.1 Patch A for about three months now. So far I can say I'm not too impressed. I haven't observed any major bugs but it seems pretty slow at time. Its like its ADD (attention deficit disorder), sometimes getting absent minded for a time and then suddenly remembering that it was supposed to do something. But the GUI is really nice.

Hello Sir.i'm Emerson From Philippines.are you also familiar with S7-200 PLC of siemens?i'm beginner in PLC...i have something to ask regarding the program i made...thanks

Last edited:
emerson said:
Hello Sir.i'm Emerson From Philippines.are you also familiar with S7-200 PLC of siemens?i'm beginner in PLC...i have something to ask regarding the program i made...thanks

Greetings Emerson.

You will get a better response if you will re-submit your question as a new thread using the "Start a New Thread" button on the main forum page at http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/forumdisplay.php?f=2.

This particular thread is dealing with Modicon programming software and there is no assurance that those who are most familair with Siemens S7 PLCs will read this thread.

Also, go ahead and ask your question in your post rather than just state that you have a question.

I've just been given 2.1 SP1!

Enhancements:

The following enhancements have been added in Service Pack 1:
  • ProWORX32 2.1 has been updated to support Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition (32Bit).
  • The label for the network title has been renamed from 'Page Title' to 'Network Heading' for clarification.
  • The cell highlight in the search results panel is maintained when the user switches to another window.
  • The Logic window is re-opened after switching between 'Offline' and 'Online' or 'Combined' mode. The network that was displayed prior to switching modes is also re-displayed when the Logic window is re-opened.
  • A 'Trace/Retrace' function has been added. It works similar to the Trace\Retrace function that was found in Modsoft.
  • The possibility to have Module ID codes greater than 03FFH has been added in the 'Schneider Alliance Tool' for supporting the Compact Common CPU family of PLCs.
Issues Fixed:

The following issues have been and fixed will no longer occur:
  • Searching the logic for the function MBIT with the function address defined as #00xxx works in the Offline mode but returns the error 'Cannot find invalid address type'. This has been fixed and a message-box will now get displayed to inform the user that constants cannot be searched for while in the Online mode.
  • If you configure an 'IO Scanner' with a 'To/Remote' entry of 100001 and the 'From/Remote' entry of 400001, the 'Address Used' table only shows reference 100001 as being used. It should show 100001 through 100016 being used. With the exception of 'Interbus' and 'Profibus' I/O modules, the 'Address Used' now correctly shows all the used registers.
  • The 'Instruction Editor' view for the MRTM loadable, does not show all of the registers that is configured in the function block.
  • The 'Modsoft' program conversion function does not import the 'State RAM' values.
  • No Module Help information is available for the 140ERT85410 card to explain how to use the module in ladder logic. The '140ERT85410' is not supported in 'ProWORX32 2.1 SP1'and has been removed from the module database.
  • Coils are not printed in the proper location when the 'Show Coil In Solve Column' option is selected in the 'Logic' properties. If a coil is configured in a network column other than 11, the coils are printed in column 11 with a solid line drawn to it.
  • Editing an SU16 block in the logic during emulation mode returns a Runtime error '-2147418105'.
  • If you click on the arrow for either the horizontal or vertical scroll bar in the Logic window and release the mouse button, the icon changes to an hourglass and remains in the last spot that was clicked on until you move the mouse cursor away from the scroll bars. If you move the cursor anywhere within the scroll bar, it will remain as an hourglass.
  • If you edit the 'Instruction Toolbar' in the Properties of the workspace or project, the changes are lost when 'ProWORX32 2.1' is restarted. Changes to the instruction toolbar are now saved between sessions.
  • Placing the mouse cursor over a highlighted logic element and clicking on the search results for that element while Online, could cause "Error object = MDIform1.frm" to be returned. This is followed by another message that states "ProWORX32 2.1 will now close".
  • The 'Available power' on a 'Distributed IO' rack is incorrectly calculated.
  • If a 'SKP' block is inserted between logic within a populated network, it could be possible to still see power flow in one of the skipped networks.
  • If the 'Windows' operating system is shutdown before the 'ProWORX32 2.1' Server is stopped, the activity log (ie. ServerActivityLog.txt) does not get saved.
  • If you make a change to the descriptor of a '0xxxx' register address that is used on a contact element that is displayed in the Logic window and the same register is used on another contact elements that is in a network which is not shown, the descriptor for the contact element in the other network does not get updated with the new changes.
  • If the Ethernet cable is disconnected from a remote networked PC containing the saved project that is displayed in the 'My Computer' tab of the 'Navigation' window, 'ERROR Object=ProWORX.frm' gets returned.
  • Deleting a transaction in the IO scanner table causes next transaction in the table to be deleted.
  • Printing appears to get locked up when printing only the mismatch table. After 30 minutes, the printout appears. The printing of tables has been sped up to resolve this issue.
  • '.mdb' files were left remaining in the '...ProWORX\32\Projects' folder when the project was closed instead of being deleted as in previous versions of ProWORX32.
  • It has been reported that after numerous sessions of copy/paste operations and toggling between 'Online' mode and 'Offline' mode to save the changes and then going back 'Online' again, several networks appeared to be merged together ( this was shown in the logic as a contact being displayed on the right side of a coil). After extensive attempts, this corruption could not be reproduced. In the event that this could occur again, a feature has been added to perform a cross check of the 'Online' project and the 'Offline' project during the switching of modes from 'Online\Combined' to 'Offline'. Any merges will be detected a message will be displayed to alert the user.
  • Using the 'Documentation Utility\Global Replace' function to move a group of register to where the 'Destination Starting Address' overlaps within the 'Source Starting' and 'Source Ending' range, causes the message 'Error Object=clsProjectCollection.cls' to get returned. ProWORX32 2.1 now checks for this overlap and prohibits the moving and copying function and displays a message if an overlap is found.
  • The TEST block does not work in emulation mode
  • The 'JSR' and 'LAB' block do not work in emulation mode
  • The 'Search' results window does not get updated when switching between more than one open project. The search results window is independent of the project and would require a complete re-design of the search function in order to fix the problem. This has been addressed by displaying the name of the applicable project in the search results window to let the user know which project the results applies to.
  • The 'Modsoft' program conversion function does not import all of the 'ASCII' messages.
  • Cannot enter a 6 digit address in the source and destination address textbox of the 'Documentation Utilities' window.
  • '200 series IO' modules are displayed as '800 series IO' when the Modsoft program is converted to 'ProWORX32 2.1'
  • The network range in the search panel defaults to the full range of networks, Patch B defaulted to 1 for start and end.
  • Deleting the 'Documentation' record for a contact element in a network and then selecting a different contact within the same network, also causes the record of that contact to be deleted.
  • The page in the user documentation for the section titled 'Working with Networks' incorrectly described the solve order of the logic within the network. The documentation has been updated to show the correct solve order.
  • Search does not find the registers that are configured in 'Configuration Extensions' section for 'Peer Cop'. The PLC does not support the search function on 'Peer Cop'. The documentation has been updated to reflect this.
  • Saving a project to flash on a Compact 984 PLC returns 'Write to Flash Failed Flash Error Error 7 - Error in Upload Request'. This was the result of the project having IEC code that was uploaded from a PLC containing an application that was created with Concept. 'ProWORX32 2.1' does not support IEC code. The documentation has been updated to reflect this.
  • Sometimes after performing a READ operation immediately after going Offline, the user cannot go back Online to the PLC.
    If the user performs the operation of going Offline and doing a 'Read' immediately afterwards (This is defined by the option in the 'Environment' properties of ProWORX32 ) for numerous amounts of times using Ethernet TCP/IP, could cause the NOE to lockup the programming path. Any attempts to login to the PLC afterwards will fail. When this happens, ProWORX32 will return a 'Failed to login to PLC' error. However, the user can still log into the PLC using either Modbus or Mobus Plus.

I did work last year using 2.0 patch D, which had one nasty bug that caused a PLC I was working on live to crash at one point (and numerous other occasions caused headaches putting right afterwards).

I was connected via modbus plus, on this MB+ network were approx 35 PLC's (some as hot standby's) redundant HMI's and various other equipment, I suspect the network was saturated :confused:. (There were various bridges and repeaters in the system).

The particular problem I had was while making a change, Proworx32 just froze up. I had to shut it down, log off and on and restart Proworx. On a few times when this happened I found that the segment I was working on had disappeared :unsure:.. and then looking at the segment above, the code from the missing segment had appeared there, superimposed over the segments proper code, but tabbed across one column. :unsure:

On the occasion it crashed I was working on a segment which had a sub-routine call, I presume the corruption screwed the retrun point up and caused the crash.

I hope V2.1 handles losing connection better than 2.0 did, I at least presume due to the saturation Proworx lost its connection momentarily and then incorrectly finished the modification.

I got very bad press at that customer, all down to Proworx32.