Controlling Siemens variable frequency drive

Pandiani

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello guys,
by examining one STEP 7 program that is used for controlling VFD micromaster drive I came accross one part which is particulary interesting to me.
Code:
 	  L	 DB1.DBW1 			  //control word 
 	  T	 "MW12"

L	 "control_datas_DR".DR_setpoint	//setpoint  
 	  L	 1.638400e+004			   
 	  *R	
 	  L	 1.000000e+002			  
 	  /R	
 	  RND   
 	  T	 "MW14"

L	 "MD12"
 	  T	 "DR_send"				  //output word

I need someone more experienced to explain me what is happening. If I understand correctly, something like this is happening.

Setpoint that is read from some other location and which is in % (0-100%) is converted to number between 0 and 16384 and send to drive.
This opens two types of questions:
1. Why number 16384 is used? Is it standard for all Siemens' drives?
2. What exactly is a control word? Is it standardised, or a programmer is defining it according his particular needs?

Looking forward to your answers...

Here is the control word, you will notice the 16 bits for each control function.
CW1-1.JPG

In my experience this is very similar to all drives that support a PPO profile for profibus too. As far as the 16 bits for speed reference, it is 32767, the MSB bit is used for a sign (FORWARD OR REVERSE)
Try to send the drive -16383 and you will see the drive reverse directions.
The Masterdrive can support 32 bits (thats why I asked the question regarding the exact drive, the phase Micromaster should have been a clue for me :) )

Controlword

Hi Pandiani

I think it is 0-4000 HEX. It is on Danfoss.
ControlWord is 16 bit for control the drive eg. start,stop, rev,
ect.
I have not been working with Siemens, but i think Danfoss and Siemens works more and less the same.

Banker

BTW. I will try the filter you have made next week look very good.