5 rung to function block

RichBlunt

Has anyone tried to convert the standard 5 rung motion logic into some kind of Function Block?

I tried using making an add on instruction in Contrologix Version 16, but it just seems cumbersome.Then I thought maybe a JSR, but then I miss out on including diagnostics for the cylinder motions.

Its more an exercise than practical, most of the plants we do work in would be very unhappy not too see "all" of the logic

I found that building AOI's in v16 cumbersome, but once validated, it is wonderful for replication.

AOIs are weak attempt at replicating an IEC 61131 function block found in other PLCs. I do not understand why they are so late/weak on this type of functionality.
AOIs work well for small functions, by do not work well for making a modular machine. (no online edits, no data structures for input/output variables, etc) Maybe better in v17...

ControlLogix does have function blocks. AOI's are intended to have validated modules that are reusable. Once an AOI is validated, you wouldn't want to change it for any reason - unless you are willing to revalidate it.

AOI's also let the user see the code in action - unlike subroutines.

IMHO - AOI's can be a good thing if you give them the chance.

I got back to playing with the AOIs after going to a TwinCAT basic course.

I now understand how to apply the AOI better, I created a test AOI to reduce production type counters/timers to one block, works as I wanted, STILL evaluating how to reduce normal 5 rung with an AOI, stay tuned for details on this BAT CHANNEL! :)

If they had made it so you could "wire" in to the input parameters, then the AOI would be perfect IMHO.

I have created function blocks for 5 rung. it works good for writing, but if you want to modify on the fly it makes it hard. At the same time it also make the customer fix there problems without jumping it out.

using the Version 16 AOI? I am working on it, but it seems I will have to change my PV and some udt structure.

RichBlunt said:
I got back to playing with the AOIs after going to a TwinCAT basic course.

Don't know if you agree or not, but in my opinion AOIs are functionaly weak compared to Function Blocks in twin cat.

I agree, but rockwell is king for alot of our customers so the AOI is what I am trying to utilize to get our standard so we are reusing well thought out working logic rather than re-invent.