RSLogix 5000 Version 16.03 connection through VPN

IRT

Hi All, I have connected to a RSLogix 5000 V16.03, through a hardware VPN. I can go online with the controller and even edit rungs, but as soon as I go to "accept pending rung edits" the connection freezes. I have talked to RA they could not help me, either could the router manufacture. Any ideas?

IRT said:
Hi All, I have connected to a RSLogix 5000 V16.03, through a hardware VPN. I can go online with the controller and even edit rungs, but as soon as I go to "accept pending rung edits" the connection freezes. I have talked to RA they could not help me, either could the router manufacture. Any ideas?

I don't know if its related, but I have noticed eversince ugrading tp CPR9, online edits with a Contrologix and Compactlogix can take updwards of 3 - 5 seconds to assemble. And this is when I am the online device connected.

Here is my post

What happens when you are not going through the VPN?

If it works fine, I doubt RA will be of much assistance. It may just be the settings of the VPN.

Thanks Guys, I have noticed that CPR 9 is a little slower doing the online edits. But when I am connected to the controller, editing works fine. It is only a problem when going through the tunnel.

Yes you are right RA was no help, but either were Linksys as far as router settings. I have been playing with the MTU values to see if that would help, but still no success.

I'm curious about the exact hardware used to do the VPN; you mentioned Linksys, and that it was a hardware-to-hardware tunnel.

I've done hardware-to-hardware tunnels successfully with Cisco PIX firewalls, and seen it done with Sonicwall appliances.

Is this during all edits, or during large rung edits ? How full is your controller memory ? Are there any local stations editing while you are using the VPN ?

Thanks for the reply.
I am using a Linksys BEFSX41 VPN router at location and a BEFVP41 linksys VPN router at home, to establish my tunnel.

When trying to do a remote(tunnel) online edit. I am trying to shuffle around four XIC/XIO bits on one rung. I would think that this is a small edit. I have 1.6M of free space in my controller, lots of room, there are no users locally online with the controller. I can cancel my pending rung edit, just can not accept it. The accepting process says that it is "starting" but never completes (even after several hours). Once this happens the only way to get "offline" is to use the task manager and end task. Scary

I am curious about the Cisco Pix firewalls you mentioned, I will look into that. But I still can not understand why my existing tunnel/software could not complete task.