CompactLogix to Telesis via RS232

pmcmahill

I am involved in sending as ascii string from the RS232 port of a Compact Logix to a Telesis pin-stamper.
If anyone has successfuly done this, any information would be helpful
Thanks

Pat,

Could you be more specific as to your need. Is it the formation of the string or it's transmission? Does the target device know what to do with ASCII characters or do you need to drive the individual pins ?

Bob A.

The Telesis is a pin stamping device.
The ASCII being sent is a start character (Hex 14); Julian Date (001 - 366); Shift (A, B, or C); Part # (001 - 999); Terminator character (Hex 0D).

Sounds like a handful of programming challenges, all of which are the sort that Forum members enjoy.

1. Calculate the Julian Date. Unless this is being loaded into your controller from an external source, you have to calculate it based on the Month and Day of Month values that you get from the controller using a GSV instruction on the WallClockTime object.

2. Convert the Julian Date, and Part Number into strings. This is very easy, with the DINT To String (DTOS) instruction in the Logix controller.

3. Pack the strings created for the Julian Date, and Part Number with leading zeroes.

4. Concatenate all these strings together.

5. Transmit the summary string to the pin stamper.

Thanks; however I was hoping to hear from someone who has dome a similar thing with a Telesis unit so I could ensure that I have all the parameters set correctlty.
Thanks

That makes sense. I'd be curious about the character sequence of those three-character values too.

If the string is literally as you describe, with the values in ASCII, your value-to-string routine might look something like this:

Thanks, Eddie

Thanks. The ladder you zipped worked. I just had to make some modifications for my app, and setup a way to store the ascii untill sending it to the Telesis. But when sent, the data was right-on.
I just wish AB had set a Julian date option in the processor, but that might be asking too much.
Thanks again
Pat :D

I wish I had my Telesis manual in front of me, but isn't the Julian date just one of pre-defined formats in the printer? As well as ths shift code. And if the part # is not really a part number but some sequential part counter, that can be set within the printer as well. So in the end you may not need any serial communications at all.

I guess you are dealing with TMP420 controller, aren't you?

Yes it is a TMP420. However, the julian date needs to come from the PLC. The process is a Die Cast machine. The julian date will be when the cast was made. However when the part is cast is not neccessary same Julian date as to when the part is being stamped. Up tp 21 parts are being cooled, so there can be 15 minutes in normal operation, and longer during down time.

The TMP420 date would have been easy, but not this time. ÁQue sera, sera!

Good Afternoon.

I have a similar problem i need to edit a patter into TELESIS TMC 470, the custumber wants that these changes made from PV.

I could write a "code" from PV into PLC through ASCII instruction AWT, now i need to write this code in TELESIS obviously to print in a workpiece.

how i can do that using Ethernet port ??

Thanks.

The PV is a 600c AB
PLC 1400 AB
Telesis TMC 470

Good Afternoon.

I have a similar problem i need to edit a patter into TELESIS TMC 470, the custumber wants that these changes made from PV.

I could write a "code" from PV into PLC through ASCII instruction AWT, now i need to write this code in TELESIS obviously to print in a workpiece.

how i can do that using Ethernet port ??

Thanks.

The PV is a 600c AB
PLC 1400 AB
Telesis TMC 470
Based on my initial experience you cannot Use the tmc470 as a communication Ethernet port with ControlLogix... The only way this port can be used is with a software that is proprietary of Telesis called Merlin III. So basically you are stuck with a serial communication set up that nonetheless it can be transformed into Ethernet Using a DigiOne IAP and writing the code using a message system to send and receive information. The worst problem i had with this set up was the communications with the TMC470. Sending Data was not a problem but receiving always triggered a 16#3000 error on the PLC because it cannot find a "node" or cannot see the pinstamp box. Hope this is useful for others... this thread is kind of old. old technology eh? lol