Were to learn to Script

I don't know that any PLCs support "scripting" directly. That said, many support other means of programming than the common ladder logic. You also have flowchart based, and I'm sure there are many flavors that offer some kind of C-esque procedural programming.

Scripting generally refers to writing code for a program that doesn't run on its own, and is often interpreted or "dynamically compiled" instead of compiled. In the context of most discussion here, scripting is talking about writing code that an HMI or program like Excel will execute. The purpose is to provide more programmatic flexibility than the host product natively offers.

To answer your question, most HMIs use VBA for scripting. Microsoft has cut support for this, so it'll eventually be a dead end (possibly replaced with a .NET equivalent that's syntactically similar). I would say: python, PHP, or Ruby for your general (non-HMI) scripting needs. IMO, perl's a knarly mess, but can be useful in a 'nix environment.

To answer your question, scripting shouldn't be too time consuming to learn. There are all kinds of resources online and books available for VBA. A good start might be making buttons and other objects "do stuff" in any MS Office apps.

vatersauto said:
Were to learn to Script on the plc side and what is scripting, is it hard to learn?? :eek: is it vb?
is there a website it free to learn script
:cry: Thanks

At my previous employment there was lots of script done with the CLX platform. I think its VB.
There are sights like this one for VB.
Of course Rockwell calls control logics a programmable automation computer, not a programmable logic computer

SMOKE said:
At my previous employment there was lots of script done with the CLX platform. I think its VB.
There are sights like this one for VB.
Of course Rockwell calls control logics a programmable automation computer, not a programmable logic computer

NOT SCRIPT IN CLX, it's Structured Text.
& it' Programmable Automation Controller, not computer.