PanelView Question.

I have a customer who has an old Allen-Bradley PV 1400e CRT model that he would like to upgrade. Everything I can find and the people at my local supply house tell me that I should upgrade to Allen Bradley's plus PV. I have been told that RSView 32 ME has a wizard that will import data from the old panel view and convert it to the new one but they can not tell me that it will convert 100%. Has any one done this and did everything convert? If it didn't all convert was it Allen Bradley specific parameters that didn't convert or was it application specific? I haven't been down this road before, usually I go back with what was in place but I have also been told that the 1400e and 1000e are being phased out and I can't even find the CRT model. Any thoughts?

Yes there is an Import, its not 100% depending how the PV has been programmed. I just did a 1400 (not e) to PV+ on saturday, this took me 6 hours in the office and 3 hours on site.

Heres a list from the help of unsupported 1400e objects

Unsupported PanelBuilder 1400e Objects and Features

PanelBuilder “e” Settings and Controls not converted to Machine Edition
Transfer Inhibit control

Request control

Transfer Status control

Controlled Relay control

PLC Controlled Audio control

Message control

Message Handshake control

Polarity control configured to display a minus sign with a negative number

Acknowledge to PLC control (if the Alarm Acknowledge is set to Bit)

Remote Alarm Operation Hold Time; the 1400e Remote Alarm Ack Control Hold Time will be used for all alarm hold times.

Remote Alarm Control Delay Time. If an Ack control is assigned in FactoryTalk View, there is no delay time between the alarm acknowledgement and the Ack control being set.

Bit alarm acknowledgement

Blinking alarm messages

Alarm relays

Screen security settings. FactoryTalk View uses a different method to assign security to displays.

Date and time settings. ME date and time settings are based on the run-time locale settings, which will have to be set after conversion.

Any characters in PanelBuilder screen names that are invalid in ME will be replaced with an underscore "_" character.

Expressions; because some PanelBuilder 1400e expression syntax is not supported in FactoryTalk View Studio, all PanelBuilder expressions are disabled during conversion.

PanelBuilder “e” Objects not converted to Machine Edition

Scrolling List Object - including Cursor List, Multistate Indicator Object List, Local Message Object List, and Numeric Data Display Object List

Set Bit Cursor Point
GoTo Configure Mode Button

Here is a link to RA's example migration from 1400e to PV+.

The pdf explaining this is RA KB Article ID 44265 (Although the page wont load for me at present)

Put in Migrating PanelView Enhanced Terminal Applications in the KB Search engine and it will be first hit.

I was lucky on the 1400 as all i had to change was the alarms, reason it took so long was as the new PV+ has a bigger screen with more functions and buttons i moved things around as the old PV app on the PV+ looked a bit of a mess (ie buttons didnt line up to the keypad, text was old PV format and small etc) although did function correctly.

If you post the PV 1400e program i (or someone here) will run it through the import and post the log file back of import errors.

Last edited:
1400e lcd upgrade and here

The Rockwell upgrades are not cheap though, a cheaper alternative to an lcd for a PV1400 is here and i am sure this will work in an enhanced termianal as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight, as far as going to the 1400e LCD, I know it would all transfer but I can't find one cheaper than $10,000.00 and well you know how people don't want to spend money. There's always something blocking your path to the simplest way of completing the obstacle, usually money.

The LCD Upgrade i posted a link to on ebay is $999 ???

The Rockwell one is cheaper than a PV+1500 ?? And thats not $10000 at a guess!