LCD or Plasma "HMI" Andon Display

IAA

Has anybody ever used a LCD or Plasma TV for an Andon Scoreboard? I have stalled out on search terms. I can find a bunch of the LED type. I have 5 ML1100 that are on a little ethernet network and need to display uptime, downtime and all of the other lean thinking ways. I am just looking for ideas and the only thing solid are the Micrologixs. Thanks

I used a display to show waste material, footage, etc. (Which I guess is like the scoreboard) I had it hooked to a PC running RSView ME. If you are looking for a large display, go with LCD. I used a plasma and the screen burn was pretty significant since the headers are static.

I have seen CRT's, LCD's, (not plasmas), scrolling displays, static devices.

All depends on what your requirements are.

Any number of different types of HMI software packages can do this easily.

My only suggestion on the screen is to not use a Plasma. Whatever type of image you display is going to be fairly static. Plasma screens don't like this and WILL burn in. An LCD on the other hand won't.

I just set up a 42" LCD for our SCADA system running on a Dell PC.
I don't expect any burn-in and using a HDMI/DTV cable makes a difference with the small detail. It's awesome but I had to put it on a table to get it 4' away for comfortable viewing. A wireless mouse/keyboard setup works well and looks good.

Big LCDs work GREAT for marquee type applications. As Norml suggested, be sure to use a DVI/HDMI cable and run at the native resolution - it makes a huge difference. You can get Ethernet extenders if necessary.

I've found that it's cheap and easy to put a cheap "driving" computer hidden away near each marquee. If you're clever with your HMI package (or have a very flexible one like FactoryPMI), you can centrally control what each marquee displays. The trick to doing this without a lot of effort is using some central data source that the HMI can read and you can easily write to (PLC registers, SQL Database, etc). This includes the flexibility of rotating through screens on a timed or event driven basis.

You can really wow your customers (end user, workers, boss, etc) with a nice looking LCD marquee display that provides useful realtime process data.

Last edited:
IAA said:
Has anybody ever used a LCD or Plasma TV for an Andon Scoreboard? I have stalled out on search terms. I can find a bunch of the LED type. I have 5 ML1100 that are on a little ethernet network and need to display uptime, downtime and all of the other lean thinking ways. I am just looking for ideas and the only thing solid are the Micrologixs. Thanks

I konw you asked for LCD or Plasma but...

Perhaps.........

A Redlion G3 or datastation plus talking to the ML's on ethernet displaying the information on a BFD talking over 485 ??

You have to love BFD as an acronym for a big display. Once you get above about 50" the most cost effective way to go is a projector. Your imagination and budget are your only limitations. A projector works great if the lighting is right.

With a PJ you just have to have a decently painted piece of wall and be prepaired to change the bulb about every 3000 hours ($400 - $600.)

I am active on several home theater forums and would love to be able do do a project that ties into my day to day controls stuff.

Aneway, the difficult part is deciding how you are going to display the info. I will be happy to help out with the display part.

My tag line on HT forums:

You measure your TV in inches? I measure mine in feet.

What's a BFD allscott ;-)? I like it, kinda reminds me of my Doom days. I have a friend that recently purchased about a $1k HD projector (can't remember which one). I was amazed at how good it looked and how bright it was. He somehow managed to get a 3 year warrenty that would cover the bulb for cheap.

Do you actually think that a project could be viable for a marquee application in an industrial setting? Big Brother is watching!

allscott said:
You have to love BFD as an acronym for a big display. Once you get above about 50" the most cost effective way to go is a projector. Your imagination and budget are your only limitations. A projector works great if the lighting is right.

With a PJ you just have to have a decently painted piece of wall and be prepaired to change the bulb about every 3000 hours ($400 - $600.)

I am active on several home theater forums and would love to be able do do a project that ties into my day to day controls stuff.

Aneway, the difficult part is deciding how you are going to display the info. I will be happy to help out with the display part.

My tag line on HT forums:

You measure your TV in inches? I measure mine in feet.

Thanks for all the input. For some reason I didn't even think about having to have a PC. šŸ™ƒ In my mind I was going to plug it into a magic box and it would work. I guess the magic box is a PC.

I am currently using the Data Station Plus from Red Lion on other applications and I think they are great. I am leaning towards that solution.

The projector would be great if I had a wall to display it on. The work area is in the middle of the shop floor.

I am planning on changing screens on a set time to display the info for each work station. Each ML1100 is responsible for a diffrent style of part in the work area. I was going to have one of the ML1100 be the screen changer.

As far as the HDMI/DTV cable is concerned. Do I have to have anything special on the PC to use it? I haven't made the leap into the newer television sets(hopefully soon), so this is new terminology for me.

Most PC video cards have a DVI output - it's the white connector for a digital signal. HDMI is a spec that's more popular with home TVs that also includes audio. You can get a cable that goes from DVI->HDMI. Newer computer video cards also include HDMI outputs. Cheap PCs with integrated video often don't have a DVI port, but you can buy a <$30 card that supports it.

FYI, the cables, especially long ones are a bit pricey, but not too bad if you order them online. Your local Best Buy will try to sell you a short $100 cable. Don't buy the hype - it's a digital signal. All that gold plated nonsense is rediculous.

IAA said:
Thanks for all the input. For some reason I didn't even think about having to have a PC. šŸ™ƒ In my mind I was going to plug it into a magic box and it would work. I guess the magic box is a PC.
As far as the HDMI/DTV cable is concerned. Do I have to have anything special on the PC to use it? I haven't made the leap into the newer television sets(hopefully soon), so this is new terminology for me.

Calling Red Lion Gurus

Will the DSP DSPGT000 have good enough resolution to be displayed on a 37" screen? The spec shows "Virtual HMI up to VGA(640x480) size" What does the (640x480) mean?

FYI they have large easy to read LED-gible boxes.
American LED-gible. columbus Oh. 614-851-1100. this is old rolodex
info might be outdated. used tons of these in some auto plants.