Compact GuardLogix 5380 Read LCD Message Within Program

AMarks95

I have a 5069-L320ERS2 that has the scrolling LCD screen on the front. Is there any way for me to see what message is being displayed on that screen from within the program, while logged in?

That's a neat question !

I found a Knowledgebase document that explicitly says that's not possible with the 1756-L7x controllers, and I don't expect it to be possible with any other controller platform.

I've done it with a 1756-DNB... but it was a feature specifically of that module and was in the tatus controller-scope tags.

Ordinarily the only thing scrolling on the display is the program name. Most other faults can be separately monitored with GSV or MSG instructions (major and minor fault codes).

If there was a controller OS crash that showed one of the self-diagnostic messages, of course the user program wouldn't be running so programmatic access would be moot.

The Rockwell CIP class for this feature is 0x3A5. KB QA36346 describes how you could go about toggling it on or off and selecting what is displayed. You won’t be able make a custom message and no documentation shows how to obtain the current characters displayed. May be possible to retrieve.