Siemens CP 5611 won't start

TDMartin

I have a CP 5611 card I am using to run an application. It is set up as a ProfiBus slave now, with a CPU315-2 PN/DP on the other end as a ProfiBus master. I have set up both sides as MPI, ProfiBus Standard, DP mode, auto, you name it... The card is running in Configured Mode.

The error I am getting in the NCM S7 Diagnostics is "Component STOP due to PG command."

It doesn't matter whether or not the application is running, if the comm cable is connected to the PLC, or pretty much everything I have tried. The PC/PG interface is set to PC internal (local).

Does anyone have a clue as to what is wrong? Thanks.

OK, I searched the FAQ's on Siemens support and changed from configured mode to PG operation and got the card to run, and am getting diagnostics. But, I can't download configuration changes. So, it's starting to make sense, configuration mode is for configuring, PG operation is for operating...

You normally use "PC/PG interface is set to PC internal (local)"
for setting up and downloading the set-up to the CP card.
To establish communications with your PLC you need to set PC/PG interface to something like CP5611(PROFIBUS) <Active>.

I am not too sure of the details for CP5611 as I use CP5613(A2).

Tell me what you want to achieve, and I can probably help you.

"configuration mode is for configuring, PG operation is for operating..."
No, that is a complete misunderstanding.

"Configured mode" means that the CP5611 card is part of the "PC Station" that is setup on the PC. It is the one that you can see in the "Station Configurator".
This is also the more "advanced mode" so to speak.
There can be a number of reasons to use this mode.

"PG operation", means the CP5611 is setup with the "Set PG/PC interface" utility.
This is the more "simple mode" so to speak.
You use this if for example you just need to go online with STEP7 and nothing else.

OK, thank you for the clarification, Jesper. What I am trying to do is get data out of a PC, with the CP 5611 card, into a CPU315-2 PN/DP. The PC is running a custom application written in C++ (by others). The application has been used successfully before.

First, I am not entirely clear on what needs to be configured on the PC end, and what needs to be configured thru on the PLC end. All the examples I have seen, and the downloaded OPC example you wrote, show setting up the CP 5611 card, with NetPro and SIMATIC NCM PC Manager on the PC side.

The customer (who wrote the application) was on-site when another company configured a system, and thinks the CP 5611 card was set-up on the PLC side with NetPro and SIMATIC Manager. We have this question in to them:
"I remember also that the main issue was that the CPU had to be set up to see the PC as "Applikation". But did you have to configure the CP5611 card through the PLC? And, were you using a USB-to-MPI converter, or ethernet to configure? Or did we configure the CP5611 card directly from the PC?"

I think in either case, that the card needs to be set-up in the Station Configurator on the PC. Like I said in my earlier post, I did have success getting the card out of the STOP mode. I do have other issues trying to understand the connections, but will wait and get some clarification on the above before going further

Thanks, Tim

One tip, what type PC is used ? Do not use a dual core, i have WinLC running and we have to terminate one processor in the bios.

Ok, the secret word is "application".
Your customer probably refers to that a connection type called "user application" which is another way of saying that the S7API is to be used. Siemens have some examples for how to use S7API with C or C++ (I dont remember which) so that is consistent with what you said about C++.

You need to have Simatic Softnet Profibus S7 installed on the PC.
And then a "PC Station" with two componenents, the CP5611 card and the "user application", must configured on the PC.
There are several variants on how to set it up.
Best is if you have both the S7 PLC, and the PC Station integrated into one STEP7 project.

Try to confirm with your customer that the above is correct, and then I can help you more.