Siemens CP 5611 to CPU315-2 PN/DP Compatability

TDMartin

A am new to Siemens, and am trying to hook up the CP 5611 PC card to a CPU315-2 PN/DP PLC as a ProfiBus master, and I get this message in the Hardware Config.

Step7Error.jpg

The message is "Not the same system family"

Does anyone know what this means, and more importantly, how I can make them play together?

Thanks

If all you are trying to do is to connect to the PLC to monitor/download/upload programs you don't need to do anything in the hardware configuration with that card. I'm pretty sure the only time that you would have to add it is if you were using the PC for OPC to collect data from the PLC.

Just setup the card in the Set PG/PC Interface utility (select Set PG/PC Interface from the Simatic Manager's Options menu. Select the card with the MPI option, then select Properties. Setup the baud rate as 187.5kbps, node address, 0, and then close the Set PG/PC Interface. Connect the PC to the MPI port with a Profibus cable and you should be able to connect.

After you connect, you can define the CPU as a Profibus DP master and assign a node address, baud rate, .... in the hardware configuration. After you download this configuration to the processor you can connect to its Profibus port, just reopen the Set PG/PC Interface, select CP 5611 Profibus, make sure the settings match the ones you downloaded to the CPU, connect the cable to the DP port and you should be able to connect.

Are you going to attach anything else to the 315?

I should have clarified the use of the CP 5611. It is going to be used to send data to the PLC via. the C++ API functions. I am not writing the C code. That's another can of worms that I'm sure I'll need another thread for. In the future, we will try to set it up with OPC. I am connected to the PLC with a laptop thru the ethernet port for PC/PG.

Sorry, assumed you were brand new.

If you go to the Downloads section here and look in Siemens, there's a word document that Jesper wrote about setting up OPC that might help. I haven't looked at it lately but seems like he was setting up a PC in the project kind of like you want to do.

OK, I got it now. It needs to be set-up from the Simatic Manager. You Insert>Station>SIMATIC PC Station and it shows up like this:

Step7Error1.jpg

Thanks for your efforts. I'm sure I'll have more questions about the handshaking, but I believe I just need to set this up and address the data directly in the program and don't need and DP_SEND or DP_RECV blocks. Is this correct?

Hi Martin.

The DP_SEND and DP_RECV blocks are used to transfer data with a profibus CP, and only if the data has to be consistent over more than 4 bytes. There are some other blocks for use with the onboard DP port. I am not at my work PC at the moment, so I cannot tell exactly which blocks you need (one cannot remember everything). I think they are DPRD_DAT and DPWR_DAT or something like that.

As you describe it, I think you want to use the S7API to connect to the S7 PLC.
For this you have to insert a "user application" in the PC Station in stead of the OPC Server. "user application" is Siemens-speak for a connection via S7API.

Hi TDMartin,

I a newbie in these things, I had the same problem. I tried setting up the SIMATIC manager as you suggested, but when I try to Insert>Station>SIMATIC PC Station I do not see that option (SIMATIC 300 Station). I only have the following:
-SIMATIC PC station
-Other Station
-SIMATIC S5
-PG/PC

Am I missing something?. how you have come up with the SIMATIC 300 Station in the image you uploaded. I am using SIMATIC Manager NCM V5.4 + SP4 + HF1

Regards