Coal Handling

2rlp

Hi all,

Can I get suggestions as to what can be used to detect Stones or other objects (Klinker) in a conveyor line, transporting coal?

Thanks

Ron

Thanks mordred. But how do I use an Image Array to detect these Kinkers? The conveyors are very dusty & dark. The array will soon have a coat of coal dust and the purpose of its use will be defeated. Can these be detected by way of weight? (density of coal & klinker will be different).

What you get is a neutron beam that sweeps the material. The difference between the material can be determined by the result emissions of beta rays, gamma rays and neutrons emitted by the rock or coal what the material is. Simple, until you come across a piece of uranium then you run. :) Just kidding about the running and it isn't that simple.

Perhaps an xray scanner or MRI scanner will do the trick. What do other people do? I doubt this is a first. I don't think a vision or weighing system is going to help you here. Detecting the difference in material on a conveyor is going to be expensive.

Simple, burn everything! Coal burns, but rocks don't so anything left after burning is a rock. :ROFLMAO:

But seriously, if you were serious about using a camera of some sort and were worried about it getting dusty, I think there are ways to provide a pressurized clean air stream to the various cameras to keep them clean.

Brian

I have a fundamental question - even if you found a "Kinker" on the conveyor, what are you going to do about it?

Combining Peter's wisdom with Oakley's practical experence.
Peter Nachtwey said:
Detecting the difference in material on a conveyor is going to be expensive.

Oakley said:
even if you found a "Kinker" on the conveyor, what are you going to do about it?
With your request

2rlp said:
Can these be detected by way of weight? (density of coal & klinker will be different).

Yes, but I don't know if this will work for you. I have seen this done with a tub grinder that was grinding rootballs from orchard trees. The coal would have to be sorted by size first. Then each size would need to be subjected to a stream of air (or whatever working fluid you desire) that has enough force to displace the coal but not the clinker. This in itself would be a dusty operation. The reason for the size sort is because the larger the piece the smaller in proportion the surface area is to the mass. If you can find a working fluid that the coal will float in and the clinker will sink then no sorting will be necessary. The closer the density of the clinker is to the density of the coal the more sorts you will need.

Hi,
At present the client has a rotary magnetic separator which filters out most of the metals. As labor is cheap in India, there are persons stationed at a post to manually remove all visible different items, but once in a while a Klinker resembling closely to a peice of coal does get thru. This creates problems. Also the coal can supplied is of various sizes. This is not a problem.

The conveyor speed being of medium speed, the line can be stopped for a brief period as and when a Klinker is detected. This will then be manually removed.

Thanks

Ron

Years ago we seperated coal from rock by floating coal thru a Magnatite slury mix, at 1.40 specific gravity. The coal would float thru but the rocks would fall to bottom.

Peter is correct in the technology and that it is expensive.
We are considering installing a Sodern Bulk Material Analyser, for cement.
They have models designed for coal as well.

Here is a link SODERN

I agree with Almshouse.
I worked on a coal prep plant and we used a washbox to remove stone etc.
But it was a large system and had to seperate the deposits from the slurry through press seperators.

Unsure as to how you would go about picking 1 piece of klinker surrounded by coal from a moving conveyor other than dumping a section and reworking that product.
Suppose it depends on the size of operation and the funds/will to cure the problem.

Last edited:
If you use purge air to keep the lens clean, why shouldnt an optical system work.
In addition to the already mentioned vision system, how about a color sensor? Isnt clinker much brighter in color ?

There are also some kind of vibrating sorting conveyors. But as far as I know, they are expensive. These can sort material with different density.

I wonder if a spectrum analyzer would work or if it coal would show up better under ultraviolet light. I would have to dig out my old Rock hound book but certain stones will show up differently under ultraviolet light for example copper will show up a blue green mix thats easily seen. A slurry conveyer like the type used to find gold could seperate the materials based on weight the heavier stones or Klinkers would fall first Coal being lighter would settle to the bottom much later.

re

the best is the manual separation through workers but the speed would not be much better ..please tell me the size of coal are they are in solid form or some other form like powdered is it for mining purpose or some othr ..