Slightly OT

gas

I teach maintenance at a small trade school. I have been asked to teach a 45 hour class on the National Electric Code. I have avoided that book for 40 years and now have to do something about it.
Any suggestions out there?
Thanks guys

Two obvious responses come to mind. Are you looking for material?

gas said:
I teach maintenance at a small trade school. I have been asked to teach a 45 hour class on the National Electric Code. I have avoided that book for 40 years and now have to do something about it.
Any suggestions out there?
Thanks guys

check and see if you can still get the NEC "HANDBOOK" ... it's been years since I've seen one - but they might still be available ...

secret handshake: the larger HANDBOOK has everything that the regular CODEBOOK does - plus it has a LOT of explanation and extra pictures and comments about how the "rules" were meant to be interpreted ...

Ron Beaufort said:
check and see if you can still get the NEC "HANDBOOK" ... it's been years since I've seen one - but they might still be available ...

secret handshake: the larger HANDBOOK has everything that the regular CODEBOOK does - plus it has a LOT of explanation and extra pictures and comments about how the "rules" were meant to be interpreted ...

Yes, the handbooks are still available.

Thanks guys

This place only recently got involved in maintenance training so there is nothing on the shelf.
I just ordered the code handbook.

In 45 hours you will only be able to cover a few of the topics in detail, or you could do a summary of many of them. I would suggest that you pick what you want to cover based on what would be most useful to the students.

NEC Article 100 (Definitions essential to the proper application of the Code) is a good place to start. From there, pick out the topics that apply to the customers - if they are potential electricians, then you might cover these articles:

110-26 Working Clearances
210 Branch Circuits
220 Branch Circuit Calculations
230 Services
250 Grounding
300 Wiring Methods (include 310-16 Conductor Ampacity)

If they are maintenance guys, then cover:
240 Overcurrent Protection (include fuse types, circuit breakers)
250 Grounding
310-16 Conductor Ampacity
430 Motors
440 Air Conditioning & refrigeration Equipment
450 Transformers

You may also want to look at NFPA79 "Electrical Standards for Industrial Machinery". Depends on what way you want the class to go.

gas said:
Any suggestions out there? Thanks guys

I think Lancies choices of student audience and what to teach them are good ones.

IF your state requires Continue Educate Credits (CEU) the NEC is a good money maker.

I assume you are only putting the curriculum together. IF that is the case get an electrical inspector to teach. Those guys generally know the "Bible" backwards and fowards.

IF you are doing the instructing, get an electrical inspector type in as a guest instructor for several sessions.

Buy a large supply of No Doz - Code classes are about as entertaining as watching paint dry.

What would interest me since Code is generally written in blood of victims is several examples of why the code section came about and a demonstration. As an example Bussman had a very good movie on why improper fuse selection and application was bad. Lots of huge flashes, large bangs and pretty good meltdowns. That will wake the class up in more than one way.

Dan Bentler