Allen Bradely to Siemens Comms

Kevin Jones

I have a control logix PLC with and Ethernet card and a Siemens 315 PLC witha and Ethernet card, is it possible to communicate from one to the other using and ethernet protocol.

504bloke said:
You could use a redlion datastation or G3 as a gateway to pass any information across on ethernet.

In theory that could be done, providing data between PLCs is status only, but if data to be transferred is critical, such as level of a tank , with level in S7 PLC ,being filled by pump contolled via AB PLC, using an HMI as a gateway is not a control reliable solution.

We communicate between AB and Mitsubishi PLCs on Ethernet using a Mitsubishi E series HMI. I’m pretty sure this can also be used for comms between AB and Siemens.

(They’re actually manufactured by Biejer but sold in the UK by Mitsi).

They can be connected to 2 PLCs and have a function for converting info and sending it between the 2 PLCs if they’re a different make. Basically it reads data from one PLC and writes it to the other.

If you use the Rockwell Ethernet/IP Web Server Module 1756-EWEB, you can actually do Open TCP socket communication between the Control Logix PLC and any S7 PLC.

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. As I only have a small few signals which are not critical and speed is not an issue I am thinking of using my SCADA server to provide the link. (Also the customer will not pay anymore for additional hardware).
I am using RSViewSE, what driver would I need to contect a S7 313CPU with a Simatic NET CP343 Lean comms card.

Kevin Jones said:
Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. As I only have a small few signals which are not critical and speed is not an issue I am thinking of using my SCADA server to provide the link. (Also the customer will not pay anymore for additional hardware).
I am using RSViewSE, what driver would I need to contect a S7 313CPU with a Simatic NET CP343 Lean comms card.

If RSViewSE soes not have a native Siemens S7 driver, which I'd be surprised if it did, you'll have to use an OPC driver to talk to the Simatic.NET OPC server that talks to the S7 PLCs. So, short story, you need the following:

6GK1704-1LW70-3AA0
SIMATIC NET IE SOFTNET-S7 LEAN/ 2007;SW F.S7-,S5-COMP.COMM.,OPC PG/OP-COMM.,NCM PC,UP TO 8 CONNECTIONS, SINGLE LICENSE F.1 INSTALLATION R-SW, SW + ELECTR. MAN. ON CD LICENSE KEY ON USB-STICK, CLASS A 2-LANGUAGE (G,E), FOR 32BIT: WIN XP PRO, WIN 2003 SERVER, WIN VISTA ULTIMATE/BUSINESS, FOR CP1512/ CP1612/ CP7515

You can however use a 3rd arty OPC server/driver like Kepware, but I've had strange communication drops with some 3rd party OPC drivers to S7 PLCs.