Allen Bradely PLC that runs on BASIC

The Basic Module for the SLC was called 1747-BAS. Look up that PN and you should be able to find some info on it. I don’t think it is still available from AB any longer but you may be able to find used modules on EBay.

The original 1746-BAS and 1771-BAS modules had a system-on-chip version of the Intel 8052 microcontroller that ran the BASIC-52 language, with an API and calls that allowed it to interface with the backplane.

Modern Prosoft modules that do similar things have an Intel 80386 system-on-chip that runs DOS.

There aren't a lot of good reasons to run one of these modules in a modern control system, as most of the things they do can be done better on an HMI computer or a network-connected device.

But if you've got an application that calls for simple serial functions and some functions that are appropriate for BASIC, then go ahead.

That's kind of like asking where you can buy a laptop PC that runs on DOS...

Sure, but there was a certain amount of joy getting 6.22 and Win 3.11 to run on a 586 or higher. Something about typing 'win' and having windows up before the key spring back was rather satisfying.

The original 1746-BAS and 1771-BAS modules had a system-on-chip version of the Intel 8052 microcontroller that ran the BASIC-52 language, with an API and calls that allowed it to interface with the backplane.

Nice to hear that the 8052 lives on. Kinda. Although I would prefer a more modern version of BASIC.

That's kind of like asking where you can buy a laptop PC that runs on DOS...

You would be surprised at the interest in running old versions of DOS to be able to play that game that you loved back then.

I'm not a fan of the old DOS hardware (although playing Commander Keen again would be nice, Ditto Harpoon), but there is a respectable following for YouTube channels that repair them. I'm more of an Amiga/Commodore C64/Ti-99 sort of guy myself.

Of the 50+ computers that I've got, only five of them run Windows. :)