Siemens vs Schneider. Strong and weak points

SNP

Hi everybody!

I suspect that the question in the title has been answered long ago. However, I would appreciate very much your comments.

One our customer (here in Russia) accepts only these 3 bands

- Siemens.
- Schneider Electric
- Omron.

And it wishes to make strategic decision not only for current but for future projects.

I haven't any projects that involved Omron's PLC's (no doubt very good) and I don't ask about them.

So I ask: what are strong and weak points of Siemens's and Schneider's architectures?

Thanks in advance!

PS. Referencies to analytical materials would be highly appreciated.

I feel the chart is not a very good reflection on some of the manufacturers......mainly because it is products that the creator has used get in depth coverage whereas others dont.
If I was you SNP I would look if the product is freely available in that area,how is the technical backup and if you would be able to give backup with the knowledge you have on the product.

That chart is mainly for comparing quantitive points such as market prenetration and array of supported technologies.
It is not an attempt at comparing how "good" a brand is in qualitive terms such as ease of use or reliabilty for example.
The reviews section would have been perfect for this purpose, but it never really took off (hint hint - have YOU written a review - eh !?).

omron is the best

i thinks no simens and no schnider is as good as omron.
-small design.
-very nice software
-easy connection
-low price
-high temp. accepted
-low price
-good support

amin thats a very bold statement to make.Compairing schneider plc's with omron is like compairing apples and oranges. You show me a omron that has the same specs as a m340 and falls in the same price range and I will be very surprised. Just because you have experience with it and that you have backup services in your country doesnt mean it is the same in other areas of the world. Here in South Africa I have seen 3 omron plc's in 6 years.
And Jesper I didnt mean any disrespect to you in my previous comment.

chud said:
And Jesper I didnt mean any disrespect to you in my previous comment.
I didnt think so either.

And when I said "YOU" should start writing some reviews I meant any person looking at this thread, not you or anyone else specifically.

chud said:
Compairing schneider plc's with omron is like compairing apples and oranges. You show me a omron that has the same specs as a m340 and falls in the same price range and I will be very surprised. Just because you have experience with it and that you have backup services in your country doesnt mean it is the same in other areas of the world. Here in South Africa I have seen 3 omron plc's in 6 years.
QUOTE]
Chud,
I don't want to get into any sort of slanging match here, but surely your comment is about as relevant as amins' is. If you've only ever seen 3 Omron PLCs in 6 years, how can you compare them?
Do you know what a CP1H is capable of or costs for example?
Any sort of reply to the OP is always going to be based on personal preference, experience, local support etc.
Unfortunately, due to my position, I am unable to make any (unbiased) recomendation to SNP!!! (y)

Ag ok. Jus thought while the mud slinging was on i'll get in a low blow for the product I prefer. I'll keep quiet................thats until I have the facts. lol

I have used all 3 brands. My preference is Omron - as most of you know, although I know it better than the other two brands.

I do not really think 'architecture' is really the correct term. What are you looking for? Physical I/O cards (need higher density and smaller size)? Memory architecture? Programming architecture (bytes or words)? Remote I/O architecture (different protocols)? Remote I/O architecture (number of remote I/O you can connect to a processor)? Communications architecture (different ptotocols)? Powerful processors? Lots of I/O - local and remote? Available functions? 64 bit floating point maths? High number of analogue I/O? Programming tool architecture? Cost of hardware? Cost of programming software and functionality?

If you ask what you really require I am sure there are many of us here that use/have used all these brands that will give you some plusses and minuses for each brand, but be specific.

For example, for large numbers of remote I/O I have used Profibus and Device Net mainly. I now plan to use CompoNet exclusively for digital and analogue I/O. If a different type of I/O is required I would probably use Device Net as a preference. Have not used Ethernet I/P yet but a lot of people have.

If you require 'shoe box' PLCs I would definately not go past the Omron CP1H or CP1L, depending on the application. They have really 'streeted' everyone with these. I was looking at AB etc for shoe boxes as Omron had fallen way behind but not now. A shoe box with 64 bit floating point maths? Yes.

Have also had a look at the M340 and have discarded them at the moment. Will look again when the full range is available here in Ozz. They are too limited here at the moment. Have been using the Omron CJ1 instead.

Let us know what information you really require.

By the way, do not discard any of them without a very good look - they are all stayers and inovators in the PLC field and all have different things to offer. I have a look about every 6-9 months at 6 to 8 of the leading brands to see if there is anything that is of benefit too me out there. Never shut your eyes because someone else tells you something, unless is it really bad and then investigate yourself.

At the end of the day you have to make up your own mind, but, I repeat, tell us what you really want to know about with these brands.