Taking a Break from PLCTalk.net

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
On the advice of my boss, my fiancee, and my conscience, I'm taking a sabbatical from PLCTalk.net.

This site is a ton of fun, and very interesting, and feeds my need to "geek out" and talk about the technologies and devices that pay my salary and stimulate my mind.

But I found myself checking the site more often than I checked my work e-mail. Members on night-shift and on the other side of the globe sent me messages wondering why I was still browsing the site at 2 AM. When I tried to cut down my visits to the site, I found myself going through all the textbook symptoms of addiction withdrawl.

Also, I'm getting tired of spending effort on folks who can't be bothered to form understandable questions or even complete sentences. This forum has really become too much of a success in some ways because many people come here before they call their vendor, and forget that its a user forum, not a tech support line.

I hope nobody has to point to this post in a year and say "see, Ken must have known he was going to get hit by that bus". I'm not in bad health, or running off to join a commune in Oregon, though I'm hoping to apply my recovered time to my sailboat.

If we've been working on something and you need to contact me directly, look up the Rockwell Automation office in Seattle and get my e-mail address from our receptionist.

Cheers,

Ken Roach
Rockwell Automation / Seattle

I've only recently stumbled upon this site, but have 20 years in the business and enjoyed your insightful and knowledgeable responses. I'm sure you will be missed.

Robert

Thanks for all your help and expertise Ken. Hopefully we will see you posting back once in a while.

Congrats on your engagement too!

Get well Ken!

Seriously though, it sounds like you're making the right call. I hope you can come back again sometime and work out a healthy ballance.

WOW! I did not expect that....

But thanks for everything you have done for me personally and as a business.

Mark

Time out :)

Thanks Ken,

Your help filled in the gaps in the manuals. I love reading, just can't seem to get excited about the manuals. Take care. I may need to make that call some day. :)

:eek: gasp !!!

I sense a shift in the force.

I could impossibly perform such a cut. Some rationing maybe, but not a complete goodbye.
Does anyone know of software that limits your time with certain websites :rolleyes:

Ken, thanks, thanks and thanks again for your patient help.

(y)

And good luck with everything.

Ken Roach said:
Also, I'm getting tired of spending effort on folks who can't be bothered to form understandable questions or even complete sentences. This forum has really become too much of a success in some ways because many people come here before they call their vendor, and forget that its a user forum, not a tech support line.

I understand completely.

When I read some of the posts, I think to myself, "Why can't these people just read the help files?", like I had to in the past. I find I get angry sometimes. Maybe I am going off the deep end or something.....Bottom line is, people are just getting down right lazy. Especially the new ones in the industry. If they are trained to think that they can get all of the answers and problems solved on PLC.NET, then we will have a big problem in the future.

I hope that you might be the next one that I speak to when I use my Tech-Connect again.
It was always nice to have a high-level experienced tech out there to answer some specifics in a time of need.

PS. No peeking.