Beckhoff TwinCAT with HMI

Jon R

I am currently in the process of designing a project using Beckhoff BC range of bus couplers. This is going to be networked back to their C69 range of panel mount PCs which in turn is linked to a CP6902 panel.

Does anyone have any experience of linking off the shelf HMI software to this or is it just better to stick with the TwinCAT HMI?

I am currently looking at Progea PowerHMX but any other suggestions/advice would be welcome.

Jon.

Jon,

If you need more functionality than provided with the TwinCAT Visualization, I would recommend Indusoft Web Studio (www.indusoft.com). The software is available directly from Beckhoff and can be bundled with any of the iPC or Panel PCs available. The run-time and development package is extremly inexpensive, compared with other SCADA solutions and Indusoft has developed a native ADS driver for TwinCAT. They also include an incredible number of other third-party drivers as well at no additional cost.

I have done extensive developement of applications using Indusoft Web Studio, as well as Siemens WinCC, Rockwell RSView32, GE Proficy Machine Edition and Cimplicity, USData FactoryLink, Schneider Vejio and Monitor Pro and I would put Indusoft right up there with any of these for power and performance. And when you consider the price, it is a total "no-brainer" to go with Indusoft.

For a stand-alone HMI connected directly to a BC9xxx, I would also recommend the RENU line of panels (http://www.renuelectronics.com), also available through Beckhoff USA. Or the Beijer line of HMI (http://www.renuelectronics.com) which also has a native ADS driver.

The BC9xxx Bus Terminal Controller (stand-alone PLC) has a built-in Modbus TCP Server and can be used with any HMI that connects via Modbus TCP. If you are using BK9xxx (Bus Couplers) as distributed I/O with TwinCAT loaded on the C69xx as the controller, then you will need the Modbus TCP Server or Modbus TCP CE Server supplemental software from Beckhoff, loaded on the C69xx, depending on which O/S you are planning on using (Windows CE or Windows XP/XPe).

The TwinCAT OPC Server and TwinCAT OPC CE Server can be implemented on any controller from the CX series up to a full iPC. Any OPC client can then be used to connect. Note that only one instance of the OPC server is required if all of your Beckhoff equipment is interconnected on the same network, or if different networks are available via gateways (or multiple fieldbus cards (Beckhoff P/N FCxxxx) in an iPC. If so, the one server can connect to multiple controllers via ADS communications, regardless of the fieldbus. Then any OPC client can access the tag base from the one server.

Hope that helps! If you need more information, please feel free to contact me directly or via reply posted here.

Cheers!

Dave Zimbrich
Application and Support Engineer
Beckhoff-USA
www.beckhoffautomation.com

Last edited:
As far as I know, Red Lion touchscreens have a driver for ADS over Ethernet connection. I have never tried it, but I think it wouldn't hurt to know.

Thanks for the input. Have gone ahead and priced with Indusoft once I managed to get a price in the UK.

Hopefully everything will go nice and smooth.

Jon.

Jesper,

The 150 tag is £705, 1500 tag £700, 4000 tag £1675.

Runtime is £175, £405 and £945 respectively.

They also do larger versins complete with runtime, 64,000 tags close to £3k and 512,000 tags just over £4k.

Jon.