550 panelveiw attachment

mstan51

398 south warpole str,upper sandusky,ohio
recently started working with allen bradley plcs I am tring to upload programs from a panelview 550 and was wondering if I could use a pick module (someone told me you could) to upload and download programs? I'm using panelbbuilder32 software and have tried with no success so far was wondering if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong? It does say as one comment to check to see if port is being used for printing but how do I find this out if I can't attach? Would greatly appreciate any help on this subject.

what kind of communication driver is the Panelview using. (on the back of the panelview it should say somewhere. If its DH485 then you can use a pic module. If its for a printer it will say on the back by the port. Otherwise it is for programming, in fact now that I think about it always use Port 1.

If its RS-232 you need a cable that goes between the PLC and the Panelview along with a Null modem. But the easiest way is if you are able pull off the connector that goes to the PLC and plug it into your PC and that will 99% of the time get you a good setup to get to the Panelview as long as you know what the communication protical is.

also make sure your version of panelbuilder is the same or newer than the version used to write the panelview prog in the display.

Common trap for young players

The PIC requires an external power source. It can't be powered from the serial port on your PC and the DH485 port on a PanelView won't power it either. A SLC port will power it. Connecting a SLC processor (with power supply) to the PV and the PIC to the PV will work. Other options involve power supplies and/or link couplers.

mstan51 said:
It does say as one comment to check to see if port is being used for printing but how do I find this out if I can't attach?

Port that may be switched for printing would be the DF1(RS232) port. If you are attempting to get online with PIC, this is not a concern.
If you can't get online with PIC and want to try DF1 port which maybe printer port, hopefully original programmer inserted a PV config access button. If not, AB has a backdoor into config. Once in config area, you can change setting for DF1 port.

PV550 Download Question

Hey folks, bit of a noob with these PV550. We have one here at the plant that we would like to download the information so that we can replace it with a new screen. Here is the deal....
Screen Info:

CAT.... 2711-B5A3
SER....H
REV....B
FRN 4.41

It is connected to the PLC by a 1761-net-AIC.....

Here is the question can I connect to the Pv550 by using a serial port on that converter.....and if so what cable would you recommend..

NB. I have panelbuilder32 version 3.4 on a laptop with windows xp...

Thanks for the help

See link page 24.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...S6EO3n7Y_amsAQaQg&sig2=G3PTvRZ9sTwlCgIhNJUJSQ

If you are trying to get the program from the PV the term is "upload".

You will need to use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx to get connected to the DH485 PV. A real serial port is required for this driver. If you only have a USB port then a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter) will work.

Or a memory card to get the program from the PV and to another is also a very good option. See pdf

Last edited:
Pv550

ok Thanks for the help its greatly appreciated....one other question... I only have a computer with a usb port running windows XP(virtual, the driver that came with the 1747-UIC cable is a 64 bit whilst XP is only 32bit. When i try to install it on XP I am getting and error. Was there a version of panelbuilder that was 64bit?

I don't know if you had success. But we made use of compact flash cards. Then you can save the program to the flash card and read it on the engineering pc.

This was way faster and more reliable than doing this by wire.

Haven't gotten back to that particular job as yet....other bigger issues on the plant to deal with at this point in time. Could you tell me what type of compact flash card can be used with this pv550 because I don't have any here that fits the slot.

Thanks for the help everyone:geek:

I will by the card and try what the pdf says. I installed the driver and set up just like the video said, plugged the cable into the usd port and the rs232 into the AIC converter...and still unable to connect.