How to connect to a PanelView 550 (2711-T5A10 L1)

NINJER

Client has multiple spare Panelview 550 (2711-T5A10 L1 PV550 Touch Devicenet)
https://www.plctalk.net/qanda/attachment.php?attachmentid=67576&stc=1&d=1703214624

I have finally been able to get a copy and a serial for Panelbuilder 32 (3.83.01)

Was able to upload from a Panelview 300 Micro (2711-M3A18L1 PV300 Micro Keypad DF1)

2 issues, issue 1:

Converted the terminal setup from the 300 to the 550, however getting a lot of tag errors.
https://www.plctalk.net/qanda/attachment.php?attachmentid=67577&stc=1&d=1703214624

Issue 2:
I haven't been able to conect to the device to even download a blank project.

I've asked a uni friend that has worked at Rockwell Automationand we still couldn't connect on.
We have tried using RSLinx DF1, and also tried disabling the printer port on the PV550 and make sure the connection is deleted from RSLinx and closed.

Summary
PanelView Standard: Application transferring via serial port
Question
How can I download/upload application to/from the PanelView Standard thru the RS-232 port?
How can I download the application to the PanelView Standard with a DH+ and printerport RS-232 like the 2711-K10C8?

Note
: We need to disable the printer port for printing before we can perform the download.
Note:
If you are transferring the application thru the Point-to-Point driver, you must delete the RSLinx Classic DF1driver, or close and shutdown RSLinx Classic.
If you are using the RSLinx Classic driver for serial communications, set it as:
RS-232 DF1 devices
Comm Port: set COM1 for DB9 connector, set other COM for USB converter.
Device: SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview
Baud rate: 19200
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Error Checking: CRC
Protocol: Full Duplex
Refer to
PanelBuilder32 Software Getting Results
, Publication 2711-GR003.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711-um014_-en-p.pdf

I haven't tried, but can I connect to the HMI through the PLC DF1 connection if the PLC has a 1769-SDN?
PLC is a 1764 Micrologix 1500 LSP Series C.

I can test this on when back site in early January as site is closed from today.

Any help would be apreciated.

PV550.png Errors.png

When using DeviceNet or RIO the tags to/from the PLC are always I for inputs or O for outputs. This is because the PanelView is treated like a block of actual IO. That is why you are getting errors. If you want to use these PV as DF1 then you have to select the PLC comms as DF1 not DeviceNet. That should make it usable, but it may reject it on the PV because DeviceNet not selected. I have not tried that before. Good luck..

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

These terminals can use the RS-232 port for upload and download, but not for comms to a PLC.

The project could be converted to a PanelView Standard model with a different network, but all the addressing would have to be re-done.

Is the goal to take that application from the PV300 Micro and run it on a PV550 with DeviceNet ?

I'm trying to remember if the 1769-SDN gave unconnected explicit message connectivity to the MicroLogix 1500 datatable... there were some pretty cool things you could do with MicroLogix 1500 and PanelView 550 on DeviceNet.

But in general, if you want to use a DeviceNet PanelView with a DeviceNet scanner then you have to learn the basics of DeviceNet and have the DeviceNet tools (like RSNetworx).

>can I connect to the HMI through the PLC DF1 connection if the PLC has a 1769-SDN? PLC is a 1764 Micrologix 1500 LSP Series C.

Now you've got me wondering. I don't think so.

There is no general purpose DeviceNet access via the MicroLogix 1500 serial ports passing through to the 1769-SDN for use by RSNetworx for DeviceNet. You can't download a scanlist to the 1769-SDN, or go online with a slave device to set its parameters.

But you do have "PCCC Encapsulation" from the MicroLogix 1500 to a handful of devices that support it. Mostly that was other MicroLogix 1500's with 1769-SDN modules, or MicroLogix controllers connected to 1761-NET-DNI serial interfaces. The DeviceNet functioned as a way to encapsulate and transport PCCC messages similar to DH485 or DH+, allowing these controllers peer-to-peer messaging.

I don't know if the upload/download function of the File Transfer Utility uses PCCC encapsulation like that and would let you download to the PanelView via the MicroLogix serial port and 1769-SDN. You should probably stick with PanelView's serial port for upload/download to the PanelView, or use a flash memory card.

The PanelView Standards have "DCE" type serial ports, so to download to one you need a straight-through serial cable, not the null-modem pinout that is used to connect to an SLC-5/0x or ControlLogix.

My quick review of the 2711-6.0.4 manual suggests that the PanelView with DeviceNet can only communicate with the MicroLogix 1500 via and ordinary I/O slave connection. I don't see a way to define a shortcut as a PCCC peer.

Thanks for the responses so far, unable to get a connection yet.

I will get another chance to try later this week, I will try a non-null-modem cable as suggested.

It worked!

I used my normal USB to DB9 RS232 cable with a gender bender (female to female) instead of the official null-modem RS 232 cable and I am now able to communicate to the Panelview 550 through the printer port.

Thank you so much!

Now to try and convert the project and change all these tags, might need more guidance than what JaxGTO said above.