How to map 1769_sdn to ulra3000

frank802

I am a new guy in motion control, I plan to set 1769-sdn and ultra 3000 I/O output, so I can control drive from PLC program. I looked through ulra3000 reference manual, it looks confused to me, I do not know how to map SDN's I/O to assembly instance, also which assembly it will be used,how to choose? I have Rsnetworx, but I cannot find where to set I/O to specific assembly, even in component's property tab? I will great appreciate if somebody give me some ideas to learn them!

Thank you sir, actually I have that reference manual, but I cannot understand it. Would you please give me an example, if SDN sits at 4th slot, and node address is 01, ultra3000 addres is 02, if I want send command to digit input 1, what O:4.x, x=? how to calculate x? Thanks lot!

What PLC? MicroLogix or CompactLogix....It makes a difference. If Micro, the only two that will work are 1764-LRP and LSP.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1769-um009_-en-p.pdf

Read up on Chapter 7. You can configure 180 Input words in addition to the required 66 words for a total of 246 words. So, if your U3000 drive is the first X words in the scanlist configuration of your SDN module, then the 1st Input word from the drive will be at I:4.66 (0 to 65 are status words). For Outputs, there are only 2 required words and you can also configure 180 Output words. So, the first word to control your U3000 drive would be O:4.2.

As far as how the words layout for the U3000, part of that is defined by the EDS file that you'll need for the U3000. It will determine the number of I/O words that you'll need or that you can use.

As for what each I/O word means, it looks like according to 1-5 of the DN Reference manual, you'll set that up in the Ultra using the parameters 7,8 and 9. You'll definitely want to stick to I/O messaging and forget about explicit messaging. Explicit messaging is more complicated and is usually reserved for changing actual Parameters of the driver through DN, not controlling the drive.

Last edited:
Thank you Robert! I feel somewhat clear in understanding. But can you tell me where to set parameters 7,8,9 related to Ultra3000's input and output? using Rsnetworx or ultraware? How to set assembbly instances in Rsnetworks? Is it the same function as parameters' setting? Do you mean "I/O messaging" is using MSG command instead of using I/O bit to control drive?