PLC5 and Ethernet link !!!

Pierre

Lifetime Supporting Member
Today I was looking at a system where 3 PLC 5 having each about 15 nodes under ControlNet / Flex io ...

All the PLC where "talking" to eachother through an Ethernet module on there racks with about 10 PC running RSView and a couple of SLC5/05s.

When I would disconnect the Ethernet cable on one of the 5/05, ALL PCs RSView would lost there readings. No updates anymore.

Waiting about 15 minutes for some sort of timout gave me nothing more.

What gives?

PS: All these Ehternet links where through a switch.

Gotta map this network since there is no documentation but they tell me that its been like this since the beginning.

How can tha loss of one Ethernet linked PLC in such a system make all the other RSView application stop working? This SLC5/05 is even faulted. Its got no running program in it. But if they disconnect the cable... the $hit hits the Fan :)

They have RSNetworx, and I can see the 505s PLC through RSLinx.

I'm working on something else in that plant but sooner or later I will get to touch this system.

Last edited: